The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

tire/wheel stuff from the edge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so take a look at this tire, it appears that the tire blistered where it normally does, right on the edge of the tread. The tire was covered with clag, so I scraped it out of the way so you could see the issue better.
recCWt3l.jpg

the first thing you would think of is to add pressure or change camber in order to prevent this, but there is more to the story. In this pic, the edge is jagged, not usual for a blister, although it sometimes happens.
pELDRWUl.jpg

the next observation is this "dent" in the leading edge of the tire, it now appears that something was under the tire, then traveled down the tread seam and went away someplace else.
You can see the "trail" of the debris as it rolled down the tire.
l8xFDUNl.jpg

To further confirm that this was not a blister, but debris, is the fact that no other area of the tire shows blistering, clearly this damage was caused by debris and not blistering from heat. To treat it as a blister would've been a very bad decision.

Although not a huge fan of BBS wheels, you have to hand it to them this time, this tire was hit in turn one, the wheel absorbing all of the impact (the body had a minor scrape on it) , the car returned to the track after being knocked off, and lasted the entire 30 minute or so race. The fact that this was Sebring is even more amazing since it is full of bumps and uneven concrete.
2Bd0ktel.jpg

ZVpDtnVl.jpg

Last edited:
In the V6L
So, why bother with all those spokes if you don't actually need them? It's amazing that the wheel held up with so much damage under race conditions. Quality shows through. I wonder how many of the super-lightweight rims would have survived that kind of collision, forged or not. Those BBS rims aren't the lightest ones in the world.

TX
So, why bother with all those spokes if you don't actually need them? It's amazing that the wheel held up with so much damage under race conditions. Quality shows through. I wonder how many of the super-lightweight rims would have survived that kind of collision, forged or not. Those BBS rims aren't the lightest ones in the world.

I think the answer is in the picture. Redundancy and rigidity. They can take damage and keep true enough to race on.

So, why bother with all those spokes if you don't actually need them?
:D Shoot, let’s get rid of all the spokes and use Mag Lev hubs and rings.

Rob, how straight was that wheel after the damage?

TMO Supporting Vendors