The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tires.......BFG R1's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ran my 12' LS at Sonoma this weekend. Dropped my best lap time from 1:58.17 to 1:55.41. While a little small I ran the 285 BF Goodrich R1's. According to the telemetry I was pulling 1.2-1.3 G's without losing the backend. Ran NT01's in the past, lost backend at 1.1G. The car stuck..... the tire is just below the load rating and it won't last forever but damn, it's a good tire..

That's a nice improvement in your lap times. Have you run Hoosier R7's before? A set of 315 square on some APEX 18x11 wheels might be faster.

I am actually curious about the 315 R7 Hoosier vs the 285 R1 time difference. Looking at the online data, the tread width of the 315 R7 is 11.8" while the 285 R1
tread width is 11.5". If this information is accurate, there might not be that much of a difference even though their is a large difference in the advertised width of the tire.

I do know the BFG R1 and R1s are known to be wide for their advertised widths. The BFG's are also supposed to have a more square shoulder with less of a difference between the section width and tread width measurement compared to the Hoosiers.

I know when I compared at a set of R1S 315/30/18's mounted on a 10.5" wheel earlier this year to my 315 R7s on a 10.5" wheel, the R1S tread looked wider while the tires section width was definitely narrower. The R1S did not have the thick rim protector / overhang that you see on the Hoosiers.

@PeteInCT has a set of the R1S. Maybe he can post up a picture or two.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I've looked into this as well, but the BFG's also tend to run shorter than the Hoosiers....so that was it for me.

Fabman, I assume you mean that you did not want the shorter BFG sidewall? If I tried the 285 R1 vs an R7, that was one of my concerns. But, my cars gearing is taller than most of the cars on the board.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Fabman, I assume you mean that you did not want the shorter BFG sidewall? If I tried the 285 R1 vs an R7, that was one of my concerns. But, my cars gearing is taller than most of the cars on the board.
correct, for my situation shorter hurts me.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel