The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tires for rain days at the track - looking for some advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
This season I will (finally) be running R comps and slicks only for the dry track days. Since I am planning to get out quite a bit, I'm expecting some wet days as well, and I am going to get a set of tires for my GT500 18x9.5 wheels to support the wet weather days. I'm struggling a bit on picking out what tires to run though

I had Sumitomo HTRZ III's last season and they were awful in the wet. I don't want to buy something pricey like PSS since I don't really care about running quick laps in the wet, just want to get out and have some fun, but be safe as well. I'm debating a "max performance all season" tire, since I won't be putting a lot of heat into them on a rainy track day, but I've never gone that route before.

Other option is a set of used Hoosier or Conti wets, but I want to get a season or two at least out of this setup, since I'm expecting the majority of my events will be dry and I hate to spend more on a set of tires for the wet than I do for slicks!

Anyways, I'm researching in the background here, but figured I'd open a thread for some opinions

In summary: Good wet performance, good durability, low price for occasional use in wet conditions exclusively

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
PSS tires are awesome in the wet, stock pirellis are OK if you still have them and aren't going for max lap time. I've run my Toyo R888's in the wet and not horrible performance. You might look for takeoff 18" Pilot All seasons on ebay too Derek, BMW and Porsches ran sizes that would work for a Mustang in these.
Steve

Hoosier wets are great. I hear the newer Hoosier H2O defy physics. Unless you run them in the dry or don't take care of them when storing, no reason you can't get 3 seasons or more out of them.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
As Cosmos stated, Hoosier wets will several season if you store them properly and DO NOT run them in the dry. I had Hoosier wets that I carried with me for 4 years (which is the easiest way to ensure it won't rain). When it finally rained enough to use them, strapped them on the car and couldn't have been happier.

I've also had good luck with Yokohama Neova AD08 and Dunlop Direzza StarSpecs. The only problem I've found with these is the short sidewall and affect on gearing. It's as though neither manufacturer supports S197 sizing.

I've just been using my street tires since I don't have a tire trailer [yet] and I can only carry one set of tires in the car. I understand that BFG Rivals are now available in the stock 19" BOSS sizes at Tire Rack. Could be an interesting wet weather option.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
blacksheep-1 said:
I'd bet those Hoosiers have the same tread pattern, compound and dimensions as the Contis.....just sayin.

One would definitely believe that to be the case.... looking at the photos on www.hoosiertire.com , the Hoosier DOT rains look like the old Yokohama tread pattern where the Conti's look more like an Eagle GT tread pattern.

Regardless, I'm sure they booth work very well. Conti's in 265/645s are $100 (Left and Right) at Hoosier with $15 shipping.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
DMichaels said:
In summary: Good wet performance, good durability, low price for occasional use in wet conditions exclusively

Pilot Sport A/S 3 (W- or Y-Speed Rated)

This is what I'd do, but I only have experience with a previous generation of this tire. Not really fitting your low price requirement, but available in reasonable widths and sizes for your rims.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
JScheier said:
One would definitely believe that to be the case.... looking at the photos on www.hoosiertire.com , the Hoosier DOT rains look like the old Yokohama tread pattern where the Conti's look more like an Eagle GT tread pattern.

Regardless, I'm sure they booth work very well. Conti's in 265/645s are $100 (Left and Right) at Hoosier with $15 shipping.

Great feedback in this thread - forgot about this site, looks like that might be my solution!

Trust me the Contis look a lot like the Hoosiers ......

BTW for what it's worth, Hoosier has built tires for Goodyear and visa versa over the years.

TMO Supporting Vendors