The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

tires i found , PLZ HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey guys, i know this topic is beat to death but i just wanna make sure be4 i buy a set.

Here are the best tires i found in my country:

i found, michelin pilot ps2, hankook ventus v12 evo2 , toyo r 888 (but its 295 wide) , dunlop sport max for rear and sport max tt for fronts, pirelli p zero and p, nero and bridgestone RE050A .

i went to all of the tire shops.. none sell michelin pilot ss or mt street comp or any decent and known tire. And these tires i have no idea about how they r going to perform.

I will do mostly autocross, street roll racing, some drag racing on street too and ill go to an international track curcuit for a couple of week ends if i can make it.

plz tell me which one to get , you guys r my guide.

Thanks,

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I ran the Toyo R888 for a season and drove the car to and from the track. They aren't the greatest tires for heavier cars but you almost can't beat them for the price (and they last forever and you can flip them). Bang for your buck they might be the best. They wouldn't be my first choice but I don't have any experience with the other tires on the list and looking at the tread wear rating the Toyo's are softer at 100 vs say the PS2's at 220. I have been running continental slicks all season this year but I am thinking about trying the new BFG Rivals…I have heard good things and since I have a track within an hour I could drive to and from with no issues.

Adam

yeah the toyos look good ,, but is it fine to put on 295 ?? cuz a friend of mine says a tire wider than the rim would be worse than a driving a any ordinary tire .. i donno if it is true or not..

and here it rains 2 -5 days a year.. i need grippy tires i dont care about wet conditions lol ..

Yeah my suspension, brakes and wheels are stock boss 302 oems

295 square setup is fine, as long as you have the correct size and offset wheels.

Personally, I'd look at 285's. 295's may require some modification up front to avoid rubbing (trimming of endlink studs).

Sorry if I missed this info, but what size/offset wheels do you have, is it the stock wheels? If so, which stock wheels (perf. pack, etc)?

Can you get Hankook RS3's in 285s? They're good tires in the dry, but kind of suck in the wet, which you don't have to worry about too much.

I have a 2013 mustang boss .. with the boss 302 oem wheels (not laguna seca ) .. 9 inch front and 9.5 rear

Can i stuff in 285s in front and rear ?

And i looked for rs3s , they r not available

so going wider wont affect handling ?? are u sure ??

if ur sure i would go for the r888s 295 rear and 275 fronts

But i hope it wont make the car perform in a bad shape , under or oversteer os tire spin ...

if you go square (295 all around), the car will oversteer a little quicker. But if you go staggered (275 and 295) as you mentioned, then you will most likely keep the same characteristics of the car.

Today i found michelin pilot super sport , but the size they have is 285/40/19 .... does it fit in the boss with oem suspension and wheels ?

Its frustrating they finally brought michelin ss and the size is bigger than the 285/35/19 ... i feel like crying !!!

today in the morning i was looking in tires dealers for what tires they have and i found michelin brought the michelin pilot super sport.. The problem is the size they brought was 285/40/19

Will this size fit on my car ? ,, its a regular 2013 boss with oem suspension setup and oem wheels.

What the have for 285/35/19 is the pilot ps2 only.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I would not put a 285 on a 9 inch wheel…I would go up one size in the front to a 265 and one in the rear to 295 but no more than that. The rim simply isn't wide enough on you wouldn't really gain much contact patch on the ground. Keep looking for the right tire that fits properly. Did you look at the BFG Rivals?

Fronts:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=54WR9GFRXL&tab=Sizes

Rears:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=835WR9GFR&tab=Sizes

I am considering to get the 285/40r19 michelin pss if they fit in the rear

Has anyone tried a tire that size on our cars ?

Any ideas?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Flyboygsxr said:
I would not put a 285 on a 9 inch wheel…I would go up one size in the front to a 265 and one in the rear to 295 but no more than that. The rim simply isn't wide enough on you wouldn't really gain much contact patch on the ground. Keep looking for the right tire that fits properly. Did you look at the BFG Rivals?

Fronts:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=54WR9GFRXL&tab=Sizes

Rears:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=835WR9GFR&tab=Sizes

I buy a set of tires every year for the Boss, and from what I read, these work well on the track as well as the street. I'll run these in stock sizes on my 19" FRPP forged wheels and I'll try my Conti scrubs this season for the track. If I hit some rain on my scheduled HPDE Track days, I'll take my OEM wagon wheels with Conti DW Extreme Contact tires. Have to learn to drive in the rain some time, right?

Scrubs will be a new experience for me, looking forward to 2015.

Regards,
Dave
302 HP

TMO Supporting Vendors