The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tires slipping on track wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadhouse said:
I think the consensus is that it's not a huge deal if the tire slips on the wheel...

True, i just wasn't sure if the guys here driving hard enough to actually spin a tire on a rim are just replacing the tires before it matters ... i guess i answered my own question in a sense ... That if you're driving hard enough to twist a tire, they wont last long enough for it to matter?

roadhouse said:
I think the consensus is that it's not a huge deal if the tire slips on the wheel...

I disagree with the consensus.
if you say its no big deal if the tire slips then why have them ballanced in the first place.
We ballance a tire so it will spin true. with a tire being not ballanced it will have some deflection which will cause wear on supenision/steering parts/tires/safety and affect handling no matter how small it is. If its there from the begining, it will not go away and only get worse. for me I rather spend the few bucks to keep the car parts/tires down and feel safe. lets face it.. 90% of us are in it for fun and not a form of income. If I know a weight falls off or the tire spins on the rim at the track its not going to shut me down. But after that track event I would have the tire corrected, no matter if there track only tires. There is a huge differance from a race prep car to our cars. For me, Bottom line is: if there is something to keep tires from sliping or spitting off a weight and its an issuie. I would use it. I'm not made of money and like going home in one peice...Car also!
To sum it up...Why take a chance. Be safe and have Fun!!
Hope this is not taken the wrong way. Enjoy your Boss for everything it has to offer...

Here's my opinion on this bossman, it's been my experience that the only time I've ever seen a vibration is when we've tossed a weight (or series of weights) off of the wheel. for this reason, it's my belief that the balance is more centered on balancing the wheel NOT the tire, I can find no other explanation for the phenomena. The Contis that we run are extremely well built by their contractor, over the past 5 years the most difference I've seen in circumference has been 1/8 of an inch (and only about 4 times) , I would suspect that their quality control on weight would be similar. I can't speak for any other brands but it doesn't seem to matter on those and they rotate on the wheel fairly often. I have no engineering type of explanation but I've burned through roughly 10 sets of tires per 12 race season for 4 plus years now and the results are constant.

blacksheep-1 said:
Here's my opinion on this bossman, it's been my experience that the only time I've ever seen a vibration is when we've tossed a weight (or series of weights) off of the wheel. for this reason, it's my belief that the balance is more centered on balancing the wheel NOT the tire, I can find no other explanation for the phenomena. The Contis that we run are extremely well built by their contractor, over the past 5 years the most difference I've seen in circumference has been 1/8 of an inch (and only about 4 times) , I would suspect that their quality control on weight would be similar. I can't speak for any other brands but it doesn't seem to matter on those and they rotate on the wheel fairly often. I have no engineering type of explanation but I've burned through roughly 10 sets of tires per 12 race season for 4 plus years now and the results are constant.

Very interesting and I do agree that tires have better quality control. You may have something here!
Maybe some can do a quick test just for a comparison. next time you’re going to mount a new conti, throw the rim on the balance machine and see what it reads. Then mount the tire and recheck. maybe the rim is more on what your trying to balance.
It’s just that, to me if anything is changed on the rim tire set up it would affect balancing and result in some degree of a vibration at a given speed. I do trust your view on this as you have been there and done that to sort of speak. maybe it’s just the anal in me to see into it more than needs to be. I just view a wheel and tire combo all balance up and having the tire rotate some on the rim and find it hard to understand that it will not affect the balance (function) of the wheel and car.
Please post your findings if you can do the rim first and then the rim with tire mounted on it. This may be the key, if your balancing the rim more than the tire.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
As a simple example:

1. Balance wheel and tire set consisting of 18x10 wheel and Continental GTR
2. Run first session and pick up 3 oz of OPR (which would be an extremely small amount)
3. Tire / wheel is no longer in balance

As an example of this, I just pulled a 3/4 lb clag of OPR off the face of one of the continentals I ran at Hastings last weekend, not to mention all of the clag built up inside the wheel barrel. Think that might effect balance?

8)

Tulsa, OK
boss man said:
I disagree with the consensus.
if you say its no big deal if the tire slips then why have them ballanced in the first place.

I don't balance my tires for that reason.

As a simple example:

1. Balance wheel and tire set consisting of 18x10 wheel and Continental GTR
2. Run first session and pick up 3 oz of OPR (which would be an extremely small amount)
3. Tire / wheel is no longer in balance

As an example of this, I just pulled a 3/4 lb clag of OPR off the face of one of the continentals I ran at Hastings last weekend, not to mention all of the clag built up inside the wheel barrel. Think that might effect balance?

Boom

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel