The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TIRES... WOW!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure how many Owners have checked the price of Stock Tires that come on the BOSS, but I just did at Discount Tire, and your going to be looking at $1,900 roughly mounted and balanced. WOW... I could put 2 full sets of Nitto 555's on my V6 for that...

Sure I could go with Nitto's or a cheaper performance tire for the "Replacements", but I would rather stick with Pirelli's since that is what came on it...

Anyone else find them cheaper? I'm sure the Track-Guys have some info on this as they use up tires faster than us "Street guys".

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah I managed to get two flats on the rears, one the day I took delivery of the car, another a few weeks later. I figured it would be no big deal, they couldn't be any more expensive than race tires...wow I was wrong. I think the rears were something like $579 each at that time.

My car should make it until I retire it from street duty on the OEM tires it has now (which would be in July); if I were going to keep it on the street it would need fresh tires. I would probably go with the Hankook V12s or Continental DWs

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I bought the 399 wheel and tire road hazard package. covers the wheels and tires for 5 years. so far I have had to get two new rear tires due to nails. it has more than paid for itself.

When I am due for tires I am going to go with the Mickey Thompson Street tires. Hear nothing but good about them.

I am not sure why Ford opted for the Pirelli's, there are far better tires available for what those cost. if you live in the south they aren's bad on the street but if the temperature drops below 60 degrees you may as well have Hockey pucks for tires. Pirelli's are greasy on cold pavement, it's like driving on ice all the time.

I live on the west coast of Canada so can drive my car 10 or 11 months of the year. I can say from driving on the stock tires, I am not a fan and wouldn't even consider them as a replacement.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Justin said:
I bought the 399 wheel and tire road hazard package. covers the wheels and tires for 5 years. so far I have had to get two new rear tires due to nails. it has more than paid for itself.

When I am due for tires I am going to go with the Mickey Thompson Street tires. Hear nothing but good about them.

Yeah I got the protection package from my dealer for $300 which saved me well over $700 so far.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NewBossowner said:
I am not sure why Ford opted for the Pirelli's, there are far better tires available for what those cost. if you live in the south they aren's bad on the street but if the temperature drops below 60 degrees you may as well have Hockey pucks for tires. Pirelli's are greasy on cold pavement, it's like driving on ice all the time.

I live on the west coast of Canada so can drive my car 10 or 11 months of the year. I can say from driving on the stock tires, I am not a fan and wouldn't even consider them as a replacement.
+1 I monitor the outside temp gauge if its not in the 70's I dont bother taking it to redline in the first 3 gears.

I'm not a fan of the Pirelli's either, they are over priced for what you get. Check the comparisons on tirerack site. I'll get the BF Goodrich or the MT's. I haven't decided yet, I still have a couple of months.

racered302 said:
I'm not a fan of the Pirelli's either, they are over priced for what you get. Check the comparisons on tirerack site. I'll get the BF Goodrich or the MT's. I haven't decided yet, I still have a couple of months.

I am looking to the BFG Rival as replacement tires. They seem to perform well from what I have read. No non BFG tests yet so have to wait till a few people have them but they look decent so far. Also going to pick up a spare set of rear rims with drag radials for those other things I like to do. I have lots of warm weather coming up so not in a hurry.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Justin said:
+1 I monitor the outside temp gauge if its not in the 70's I dont bother taking it to redline in the first 3 gears.

This. I apparently need to start doing it as I got a little squirrelly getting on to the freeway today heading into school. Normally, that only happens when I'm trying to get the backend loose. I suppose with about 8500 miles, they are getting closer to needing to be replaced and likely will replace them before the "Do the Screw in your 302" event. Today it really felt like the rear tires were on ice for the first time. I'll definitely take a look at the threads about the different tires each of you have put on the car as August approaches.

NewBossowner said:
I am looking to the BFG Rival as replacement tires. They seem to perform well from what I have read. No non BFG tests yet so have to wait till a few people have them but they look decent so far. Also going to pick up a spare set of rear rims with drag radials for those other things I like to do. I have lots of warm weather coming up so not in a hurry.
AFAIK the Rivals will not be available in stock tire sizes. The BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 tires look to be a good replacement for the stock tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&frontTire=54WR9GFSPC2&rearTire=835WR9GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
AFAIK the Rivals will not be available in stock tire sizes. The BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 tires look to be a good replacement for the stock tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&frontTire=54WR9GFSPC2&rearTire=835WR9GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

This is the tire I'd recommend for the cost conscious. 340 tread wear and lots of tires in the $200 range. Grip is pretty good, I've run a pair on my GT and the grip is comparable to the Pirellis in the same size. Grip in the wet seems better, but the Pirellis were half worn so that might not be a fair comparison. Though I don't think of the Pirellis bering very good in the wet even when new.

NFSBOSS said:

yes, I will be switching to 18's when I change tires. they make close to the sizes I want so it's all good.

TMO Supporting Vendors