The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Titanium Brake Pad Backing Plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
2012YellowBoss said:
This should be the link to our fronts:

http://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11_37&products_id=30

I have two sets of the .5MM, the 1MM will not fit new pads but I can normally fit the two in there after a bedding. So far I have had good results using them.

Correct link. I have the .5mm ones as well.

drano38

Wayne
Got my .5mm set this week.
Easily fit on my slightly used Carbotech XP12 pads.
Will give them a workout this weekend at the MPH Mustang Roundup.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Could lead to a stuck or prematurely worn piston down the road somewhere but it's not going to be immediately hurtful. Most track-only brake setups don't even have dust seals.

Thanks, that is about what I figured. One of my calipers is brand new (100 miles at this point) the other was over heated a few times. But I will see for sure when I do the pads.

Actually, my nephew has been begging me to bring the car by his autoshop class for a while, I am planning on bringing it tomorrow. Sucks I didn't pick up the pads yet, or I could have the instructor put them on ;D

I don't. I had a leaky caliper from the factory, and didn't want to install them until I got that resolved. I just haven't had time to install it since then, I have it in a box in the garage. Probably going to do the backing plates and ducts when I do the pads, which I need to do soon. I have had clutch and brake issues since I bought the car, but now that the system doesn't leak it is much improved. I also suspect that some of the brake issues I had last time (ABS went crazy, it would activate with even slight pressure) were a combination of the leak and resulting contamination and air bubble, and massive amounts of marbles on my tires. The instructors made us do side by side laps plus my gf ran my car in the hyperdrive session so the tires were basically coated in them. It didn't occur to me that might be part of the issue until recently. They are also making custom plates for my E30, they are a little confused by the pads I sent them so they sent me a template and I am going to try test fitting it. They are worried there is nothing to keep the pad from shifting, and don't want to add tabs because they don't have a machine to bend them so the end user would have to do it and they have had some snap. The fact that they told me there was a potential issue rather than just sending them and taking my money says a lot about them, imo. They really seem like some stand up guys at Hard Brakes.

Sesshomurai

Installing these now, along with my new Eradispeed 2-piece rotors all around.

Grant 302 said:
Just wondering...is there anyone using these that does not have the cooling ducts? ...and does not have fried dust seals?
Is there ANYONE (with or without ducts) without cooked dust seals? BTW, how big a job is it replace the charcoal briquettes I currently have with new seals?

ChuckP said:
Is there ANYONE (with or without ducts) without cooked dust seals? BTW, how big a job is it replace the charcoal briquettes I currently have with new seals?

Depending on the tracks run some may be worse then others but in time I assume any tracked Boss will fry the dust boots sooner or later. I am not worried about them being fried and as far as I know you would have to split the caliper and basically do a complete rebuild to replace the dust boots. It is not something I would try at home at this point without learning more like if special tools are needed etc.

In one weekend at Sebring, Not only did I melt the boots, I turned my cylinders into powder on my 06 GT. No brake ducts, Hawk HP+ pads, Motul 600 and used Grand am Conti slicks. It's not hard to do.

HMSbrakecarnage002.jpg

HMSbrakecarnage001.jpg

With this car.....

SUNCOASTPCASEBRINGJune302007DL-2240.jpg

SUNCOASTPCASEBRINGJune302007DL-8013.jpg

Sesshomurai

Fastduo said:
In one weekend at Sebring, Not only did I melt the boots, I turned my cylinders into powder on my 06 GT. No brake ducts, Hawk HP+ pads, Motul 600 and used Grand am Conti slicks. It's not hard to do.

What kind of brakes though? I'd be surprised if a good set of racing brakes would have that happen since they use temperature rated materials that go beyond typical tracking metrics. But I guess anything can happen.

darreng505 said:
Fastduo said:

What kind of brakes though? I'd be surprised if a good set of racing brakes would have that happen since they use temperature rated materials that go beyond typical tracking metrics. But I guess anything can happen.

Stock GT calipers, Hawk HP+ pads, Motul 600RBF fluid and no cooling ducts. Advanced group which is hard and fast. I also had a student in the car with me all weekend so there was alot of weight. (at that time, I was very heavy and my student could have been my twin) so that didn't help.

Quick video of the advanced group. I was in my other car Silver SN95 in front of the camera car.....This one was much more track prepared......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28eIYQPgstE

TRACKGUYSSebringMay28-292011DL-3001.jpg

Fastduo said:

looks like your car came with phenolic pistons. i could be wrong, but i believe the brembo calipers come with steel pistons, which can withstand higher temperatures.

I've rebuilt regular calipers and its not hard to do, not sure about these brembo's tho; don't think they'd be any harder to rebuild.

2012YellowBoss said:
ChuckP said:

Depending on the tracks run some may be worse then others but in time I assume any tracked Boss will fry the dust boots sooner or later. I am not worried about them being fried and as far as I know you would have to split the caliper and basically do a complete rebuild to replace the dust boots. It is not something I would try at home at this point without learning more like if special tools are needed etc.
The front dust boots on my Porsche also get cooked and never had a problem because of that. I've had the calipers rebuilt on that car a couple of times and the boots are usually toasted after a couple of track weekends.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel