The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Titanium Brake Pad Backing Plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I wasn't sure if these were "snake oil" or not, but I ordered a set a few months back. I roasted the dust boots on my old brembo calipers using Hawk DTC and PFC01 pads; now I have installed a fresh set of calipers, and after the first track weekend using the Ti backing plates, the dust boots are completely unaffected.

I would highly suggest getting these if you are a track rat. I got mine at hardbrakes.com, search pad shape D1001 for our Brembo front fitment.

Videos from this weekend to come later in another thread.

I posted about these a while back, and I too was unsure whether they were snake oil. The theory seems good, but it all depends on what the titanium alloy is used and how well it blocks the heat.

What thickness did you use? Have you noticed an increase/decrease in noise, either on or off the brakes?

I would use them even if all they did was eliminate the constant off brake rattling, which some people claimed on another forum. The Brembos on my old car were noisy too.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CaliMR said:
Anyone have them in the rear? My rears were kicking into ABS even on light braking after they got hot.

I don't, but the pad shape is D1082 if you're looking for a set.

zzyzx

Steve
Looks interesting.

Can anybody outline why he ventilated version is not the preferred one?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If the material is not there, then you are transferring more heat to the pistons, which is exactly what you are trying to prevent by putting the backing plates in.

zzyzx

Steve
I assume all the heat exchange that is of any significance is via conduction.

A "riser" (however small), with voids in it (the vents), breaks the physical contact between the two surfaces, removing the conduction of that heat.

This is IMO how these work. I think it goes w/o saying that the backing plate itself is not a "heat sink" because there's not enough material; no significant thermal capacity to speak of to cool things down.

In other words - these are acting as phenolic spacers, not a heat sink. To quote their website:

They are made from top grade 6AL-4V titanium alloy to provide the best resistance to heat transfer, several times better than stainless steel, 6 times better than regular steel, and 30 times better than aluminum.

Given this, a vented plate not only reduces the conduction further separating the physical contact, but also has voids to decrease the area of physical contact.

The question really is - are these significantly better than the (typically stainless) backing plates that come on most OEM applications.

I used Hard Brakes 1 mm shims with Pagid RS-29s at VIR this past weekend. Learned 1 mm shims will not fit with new pads so I ran a couple of sessions and then installed the shims. They appear to be effective in that this was the first event I ran where I never noted any softness or brake fade at any time. The brake pedal was always right there...every time. Wish I had them before I all but melted the piston dust boots on my calipers. Planning to order some .5 mm shims to use with new pads.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We have some customers using these on both Vipers and Mustangs -- they definitely work. Since both cars have good balance but throw alot of weight forward under braking it is not uncommon to see pretty high temps. The Hardbrake plates work well -- have the .05mms on my Boss.

ChuckP said:
I used Hard Brakes 1 mm shims with Pagid RS-29s at VIR this past weekend. Learned 1 mm shims will not fit with new pads so I ran a couple of sessions and then installed the shims. They appear to be effective in that this was the first event I ran where I never noted any softness or brake fade at any time. The brake pedal was always right there...every time. Wish I had them before I all but melted the piston dust boots on my calipers. Planning to order some .5 mm shims to use with new pads.

If you want to send those to me I can make them .5mm for you. Free you just have to pay for shipping and return shipping.

jeepinocala said:
ChuckP said:

If you want to send those to me I can make them .5mm for you. Free you just have to pay for shipping and return shipping.
Can you cut them in half so he has two sets? ;)

I talked to the Hard Brakes guy, and I'm sending him some used pads from my E30 to make a template. Then getting those and some for the Boss. Figure for the price, if it works at all it is worth it.

Can you cut them in half so he has two sets? ;)
[/quote]

Our wire edm does a burn of .014 so If I cut them in the middle you lose .007 off each one. I would rather just make one set to size and will send you the leftover pieces. Just let me know.

jeepinocala said:
It's easy with the machines of today things like this is not a big deal at all.
I tried shaving them down on my belt sander but just took most of the skin off my hands. ;D Actually, I'll keep the 1 mm to use with used pads and get some .5 mm for new pads. I think it's a good product.

ChuckP said:
jeepinocala said:
It's easy with the machines of today things like this is not a big deal at all.
I tried shaving them down on my belt sander but just took most of the skin off my hands. ;D Actually, I'll keep the 1 mm to use with used pads and get some .5 mm for new pads. I think it's a good product.

Be carefull sanding grinding anything with titanium it will flare up on fire. Flamable when in a dust or thin wafer form.

This should be the link to our fronts:

http://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11_37&products_id=30

I have two sets of the .5MM, the 1MM will not fit new pads but I can normally fit the two in there after a bedding. So far I have had good results using them.

TMO Supporting Vendors