The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO At COTA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yep, went to Saltlick in 2016. Great!

Airport hotels are conveniently located close (about 15-20 minutes from the track) and about a $10-$15 Uber ride to downtown. The Hilton Garden Inn is only a few years old and way better value than the Hilton Downtown, even although it's a nice place. We spent a couple of nights at the Garden Inn and then moved downtown, and regretted it, in spite of getting an upgrade to a suite....

Last edited:
I also had a good experience at the Hilton Garden Inn and would stay there again if this happens.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
I have also heard very good things about Terry Black's--but haven't tried yet. Would be good to compare both...
Terry Black's in Austin is good, but I have to give the nod to Salt Lick.

Of course that's if Franklin's is sold out/closed as Franklin's rules supreme for me.

/ bbq snob
// goes to Austin for work every year
/// hit several of them each trip

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sent off for info concerning 2020 to the Texas NASA Region , as remembered the rates seemed quite reasonable compared to others for a two day run at COTA. In fact found the info and it was listed in 2019 as follows;

1. HPDE $899 for Saturday and Sunday
a) Last year they even gave a $100 discount coupon for folks who wanted to run another Texas Region event on their schedule.

2. Time Trials $949 for Saturday and Sunday

3. Racing $1199 for Saturday and Sunday

All groups could practice on Friday for an additional $499.

One coup, was for $1599 they would do a Comp. License Evaluation for those wanting a NASA race license.

Will see what information I get back in the next few days, but this would meet the criteria for a large group of our members who may want to race or do Time Trials , as the other groups would only leave an HPDE format available. I almost went a few years back but I remember the cost was $1395 , so I figured an $899 price structure for an HPDE event was reasonable. Granted the pricing at COTA is subjective when you talk about being reasonable, since most of us are used to paying $350 -399 for many of our track events.

Sounds pretty good. Will be interested to hear what they say. Chin, by comparison is $999 for two days. Depending on timing I'd be very happy with either.

Pros/Cons as I see it:
Chin: Significantly better Track Time/Cost ratio (in my experience you get a little more track time with Chin in 2 days than with NASA in 3)
Chin: Ability for everyone to run together in Happy hour
NASA: Allows option of TT and Racing
NASA: 3 Days provides some weather insurance

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The NASA run sounds good. Any idea on a date in 2020?

NASA TX usually does "Cinco De COTA" over the Cinco De Mayo weekend. It will sell out--so if we decide on that we will have to register ASAP once registration opens.

If we wind up with a Q1'20 date/group, I would (selfishly) request that we avoid January 31 through February 9th, as I will be at King of the Hammers during that time. But ultimately I am just one vote :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There has usually been a January or February event at COTA , and I have had quite a few friends go. Snow is not often in Austin, but rain is and it seems like everyone I know spent a day or so during those months in damp , cool weather. I would want to go a bit later too --

TMO Supporting Vendors