The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO At The First GT350 Track Attack!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
The FR500S handled at least as well, just didn't have as much power or brake.
What tires/size were mounted? It started raining and they put on the sport comp 2s for the rest of the day. :(

VoodooBOSS said:
Ive been thinking a lot about buying a 302S since Tuesday. But my wife pretty much killed that idea over dinner last night. ::)
LOL. I'd try to hide one, but the requied tow vehicle would be a dead giveaway. And dead would likely apply to my state of being.

The 302FRS had 275 BFG R1s on all four corners. The 2015/16? school GTs had 285 BFG Sport Comp-2s on all four corners and in the ride along with the instructor felt like they gripped better than the R1s. Part of that could be the S550 chassis/suspension too. Hard to say with any certainty as I was riding not driving.

mprichar87 said:
Glad you guys had fun and it's super awesome they're doing a GT350 track attack. I did the Boss track attack and it was a blast.

If anyone is going to a GT350 TA in the future and wants to let someone use their guest spot I'm 100% in ;)

--
Mathew Richardson

just know that 'guests' drive their school (GT) cars. not a bad way to go though...those cars were quite capable.

fuhrius said:
just know that 'guests' drive their school (GT) cars. not a bad way to go though...those cars were quite capable.

Yup, it was the same for the BTA. Not worried about that, it would still be a blast to go out there again. The less I drive a GT350 the better or I'll end up buying one ;D

Great write up everyone and thanks for sharing the details of this event. Since you all got some time to feel out the stock pad, what were your impressions....and did anyone happen to notice how much pad you used up in your day?

CSL said:
Great write up everyone and thanks for sharing the details of this event. Since you all got some time to feel out the stock pad, what were your impressions....and did anyone happen to notice how much pad you used up in your day?
Personally it validated what I already knew, which is I will want a race pad. The instructors properly talked up what a great pad they are even in stock form, but the fact is they just don't bite like a race pad. They may be good enough if you plan to just do a few lapping days per year. I didn't see how much pad we started or finished with, but we didn't get to run them long enough to get a good durabilty test. It's a more technical track without many high speed braking zones. They worked well for that type of track, but VIR and RA would be a different story.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
F.D. Sako said:
Great video!

Anyone know what gauge system was in those cars?

@F.D. Sako looks like Motec C125/185

http://www.motec.com/c125raceloggingkit/c125raceloggingkitoverview/

Grant 302 said:
Gotta be night and day compared to the FR500S...

a note about the differences: it was interesting to hear instructors (such as Charlie P) speak with such reverence about the fr500s. I found the fr500s to be a very rewarding car to drive and it was, maybe, a better fit for me given that most of my seat time has been in low-power cars.

The 302FRS felt faster but I had a much harder time corralling that pony.

Then, as I wrote this and saw Ron's video, I wondered how much faster it really was. I did a comparison that is completely unscientific given that I'm comparing the cars on two different days (and, hence, conditions)...and the timing is imprecise...but it's, at least, food for thought.

In Ron's video, it appears that the lap times were ~1:44 on the first lap in the video (albeit with a bit of a slowdown for the point by) and ~1:43 for the second lap in his video. Since I was following them in that session (they both passed me and I was behind Ron when that video was taken) I know I was slower, not faster on those laps. And as I told them...it was the fact that they were in front of me that allowed me to be anywhere near following-them speed...when I was in front of them, they were closing me down in a hurry. I also think those were representative of the fastest laps we were running. There may have been faster laps in the session but I bet they weren't much, if any, faster.

I went back to look at video from 2012 TA when I drove the FR500S on the second day and did some imprecise lap times on those videos (judging by when, in the video, I was crossing the start / finish line) and found that I was turning some 1:43-1:44 times in that car with no one else around me (and, again, I'm pretty sure I'm faster when there's someone fast in front of me than when I'm by myself or being chased). So I found that to be curious.

I really enjoyed driving the Boss 302FRS cars. Obviously the race prep makes a big difference in both responsiveness and driver comfort, but I also found they provided much better feedback from the tires on both ends. This showed up particularly clearly in the "3 D's" corner, where the fast line seemed to be holding the car in slip angle on both ends while bleeding off speed for the final left apex.

Compared to my factory Boss 302S, the main difference I noticed on the FRS was that both power and grip seemed to be down. The car's feel was otherwise similar, which is a compliment to the FRS setup. I chalk the traction differences up to tires -- the 302S runs 305 width Pirelli DH full slicks on all four corners.

treynor said:
I really enjoyed driving the Boss 302FRS cars. Obviously the race prep makes a big difference in both responsiveness and driver comfort, but I also found they provided much better feedback from the tires on both ends. This showed up particularly clearly in the "3 D's" corner, where the fast line seemed to be holding the car in slip angle on both ends while bleeding off speed for the final left apex.

Compared to my factory Boss 302S, the main difference I noticed on the FRS was that both power and grip seemed to be down. The car's feel was otherwise similar, which is a compliment to the FRS setup. I chalk the traction differences up to tires -- the 302S runs 305 width Pirelli DH full slicks on all four corners.
Yes they were a little on the skinny side. I was running 315s on all four corners of my Boss ;D Part of the reason for the lower power is the altitude, but I thought I heard one of the instructors saying they were detuned to fit into ST2 hp/wt requirements due to all the weight that had been taken out of them.

cloud9 said:
Yes they were a little on the skinny side. I was running 315s on all four corners of my Boss ;D Part of the reason for the lower power is the altitude, but I thought I heard one of the instructors saying they were detuned to fit into ST2 hp/wt requirements due to all the weight that had been taken out of them.

They are de-tuned for ST3 -- so taking account of the weight plus the Aero penalty for the rear wing, they must have significantly less power than our Bosses. Given which they were very impressive......

TMO Supporting Vendors