The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO Is Now a Tire Rack Affiliate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Problem is folks misread it and thought it said, " Be a weiner , buy some tires!"

Seriously , I am struggling with whether to get a set of Michelin Sport Cup 2s or Hoosier R 7s. Seems like VoodooBoss has had good luck with Sport Cup 2s and though I was not a big fan of the first iteration, the 2s seem to be a lot better? My concern is I don't see them as fast as the R7s , but this tire has really puzzled me. When it came out it promised better adhesion than the R6s , as well as better tire life? I found I was no faster on 7s than on 6s and they actually wore faster, but I have not actually run them since 2015 and I know compounds are constantly changing. What are folks finding late last year or this year for wear on the Hoosiers? I know Tire Rack has a better price on the Michelins, as well as a $70 Cashcard through part of April , but wondering the wear on the Hoosier? Plus if anyone has run both , of late, how much faster is the Hoosier?

Car is coming late April , so going to get some tires soon from Tire Rack!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Bill Pemberton , For R7s I'm counting on about 400 mins of track time and 18-20 heat cycles of life, if you rotate every two sessions, and flip the tires after each 120ish minutes of use.

I would not recommend driving to the track on them as this will cycle them out faster. If you trailer, absolutely get the R7s. Otherwise, go with a street compound or even an NT01.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Interesting , so get the impression you are not a fan of the Sport Cups? Admit I was not much with the originals but was hoping reports the 2s were a lot better were accurate?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cool --- have run a ton of R7s too. The original Pilot Sports sucked if it was cool ( and I mean in the 60s, which is perfect in many cases ) , but when it was super hot , they actually were as quick as the Hoosiers - which got greasy when in the 90s+. The new ones are supposed to be a lot better in cooler weather and that is part of what I am wondering , plus they did last a lot longer. Appreciate the note on the Hoosiers, since for sheer stick in most conditions they are the gold standard.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I used to run Yokohamas on the front of my Boss and Hoosiers in the rear -- called them babies Hoosiermama.

Bet you saw that coming ? Gotta leave work in 8 minutes so ...................have a Fab evening!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cool --- have run a ton of R7s too. The original Pilot Sports sucked if it was cool ( and I mean in the 60s, which is perfect in many cases ) , but when it was super hot , they actually were as quick as the Hoosiers - which got greasy when in the 90s+. The new ones are supposed to be a lot better in cooler weather and that is part of what I am wondering , plus they did last a lot longer. Appreciate the note on the Hoosiers, since for sheer stick in most conditions they are the gold standard.
The PSC2's are a fantastic tire and according to @Black Boss not too far off the R7's. The other street legal tire to consider is the Pirelli Trefeo R, the tire on the Z/28. I may try them next time.

@Bill Pemberton My experience after 20+ track days split about equally between PSC2's and R7's is that at their best,
Lap times are very close. The PSC2's start strong each session and fall off quite a bit. The R7's are more consistent over a 30 minute run. Plan on 16-22 cycles on either, depending on the track surface and session length if you swap L/R. For fastest single lap or TT either is a great option. For race I'd go R7's. For mixed track and street go PSC2 -- they are less susceptible to cycling/wear on the street.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Nick , since I am considering going staggered , I appreciate the note on both and though I thought you had run both , it is great to know your assessment after a lot of track time. Appreciate you taking the time to drop a note in this thread!

Should have added that for pure track use the R7's seem to last longer -- swapping L/R they heat cycle before cording. On the other hand the PSC2's cord before heat cycling. Both these data points are at 2*-2.1* front camber. I'm told this is due to the dual compounds on the PSC2's.

With that much camber the better street life on the PSC2's is probably the trade off.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That was nice of you to call Nick ,nice, as he is that also ,ha,ha.

Thanks Nick, I was fairly sure on that , but just wanted to double check -- appreciate the info

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel