The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO with HOD at Laguna Seca October 28th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
I'll be there on the 28th! It will be my first time with HOD and at MRLS so I'm starting in the beginner group. 4 track days under my belt on the east coast and tons of mountain/canyon road driving so I'm hoping I can move up groups once I get the hang of LS.
Not sure if I'll be on stock wheels with good, familiar, but heat cycled tires (RE-11s), or new wheels and sticky tires (18x10 R888 285/35) with a square setup for the first time on the track.
Anyone have a suggestion there? Should I learn LS on the staggered setup and lower limit tires or will I have more fun with a square setup and stickier tires? Suspension is stock, just have some cooling upgrades.
Thanks in advance and I can't wait!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Looks like I am going after all.
I'll have to run the chewed up tires from last time but I will be there.

I'll be there on the 28th! It will be my first time with HOD and at MRLS so I'm starting in the beginner group. 4 track days under my belt on the east coast and tons of mountain/canyon road driving so I'm hoping I can move up groups once I get the hang of LS.
Not sure if I'll be on stock wheels with good, familiar, but heat cycled tires (RE-11s), or new wheels and sticky tires (18x10 R888 285/35) with a square setup for the first time on the track.
Anyone have a suggestion there? Should I learn LS on the staggered setup and lower limit tires or will I have more fun with a square setup and stickier tires? Suspension is stock, just have some cooling upgrades.
Thanks in advance and I can't wait!
Is your car setup for square? Have you changed the sway bars like going to a smaller bar in the rear? If not run staggered. Going square on stock suspension will lead to trouble.

Regarding which run group I'd get going in A and not worry about moving up. Take it easy and drive it home! IMO LS is not that difficult of a track but if you have an off it can cause a lot of damage to your car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Registered in D.
What are they getting for a Garage?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Is your car setup for square? Have you changed the sway bars like going to a smaller bar in the rear? If not run staggered. Going square on stock suspension will lead to trouble.

Regarding which run group I'd get going in A and not worry about moving up. Take it easy and drive it home! IMO LS is not that difficult of a track but if you have an off it can cause a lot of damage to your car.

Nope still stock suspension. I'm currently running 265s up front (still 285s rear) so a little closer to square than the stock setup and the car does feel more neutral but I can definitely tell how easy it would be to over-rotate with a square setup on the current suspension. I assume 20mm more rubber up front is too much for tire pressure changes to compensate for, at least without causing other issues.
Is it worth going stiffer in the front instead, or getting adjustable ARBs if I am going to gradually change my setup? I'm still on stock springs so I don't want too much body roll if I go with a smaller rear ARB.
I got the square tire setup for a steal (I really just wanted the wider and lighter wheels) so I might go back to a staggered setup just more tire all around once they are worn out (i.e. 285/295 or 275/285). I also want the car to be able to perform in mountain/canyon driving and at the track since it is not a dedicated track car.
Sorry for all the questions/rambling, this is my first high performance car and I want to make my slow, low budget build as efficient as possible.
Thanks.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing