The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO's Pizza Port

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every other week. It’s fresh in a bag. An internet search showed it and Trader Joe’s as being the top two. Safeway is closer but there’s a Trader Joe’s close by as well. I’ll like to make my own though.

What are you cooking yours on? I’m not convinced the stones are the best way. My oven is also convection as well if that helps.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I spent a few months in Phnom Penh. Thanks tax payers. Hotel had a open hearth pizza oven at the pool bar. Yep, tough duty. The first night the pizza bar was open we went down.
If only the hotel had a western cook. Artichoke hearts, squid and tuna is a Unique pizza. We choked down a few. Then we had a quick meeting with the staff. They did have ham, salami, pepperoni and ground beef etc.. After expalaining how pizzas were made in the world, pizzas improved tremendously. So did sales and free beers for “Technical Advisors”
The sacrifices we made our country.:rolleyes:

My Mom made the best pizza in the world! We'd stop at the bakery after Church on Sunday to get the dough. She had all the other stuff at home in the fridge. Come dinner tyme, she'd roll out the dough to fit a cookie sheet and go from there. Homemade sauce!!!, sausage, onions and whatever else.The Moz wasn't shredded....I don't even know if that was available back then.She had the 1 lb package she sliced up and the pie went in the oven..........Those were the days...................

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Every other week. It’s fresh in a bag. An internet search showed it and Trader Joe’s as being the top two. Safeway is closer but there’s a Trader Joe’s close by as well. I’ll like to make my own though.

What are you cooking yours on? I’m not convinced the stones are the best way. My oven is also convection as well if that helps.

I'm using aluminum screens. Typical expanded mesh. Biggest drawback is that your dough can't be sticky or sag into the mesh.

I didn't learn to cook on stones...so I can't compare.

Convection is best for pizza IMO. You shouldn't have to switch to a broil cycle like I do.

As for making your own, I think you can start with *any* french bread or pizza dough recipe to start. Many recipes include sugar in pizza dough...notice that french bread does not. I don't use sugar unless I am making dough to use later that day. I'd suggest all-purpose flour to start before you try 00 or fine ground. Since you've worked with store bought dough, the most important part is to get it to the right consistency/stiffness/moisture content. Many recipes talk about being right when the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. I don't think so. There's a big range past no stick. 'Elastic' or 'smooth' don't mean much either if you're working with dough for the first time.

My suggestion would be to buy a dough ball as usual when you make your own. One to compare with and serve as backup - just in case.

I've noticed rolling pins are not on a real pizza maker's table. They prefer to throw the dough in the air. Why is that?? For all you amateurs like me, never let water in your rolling pins when washing them or the ball bearings will rust and your rolling pin will become a baseball bat. Simply rinse off the pin at a slant angle below the opening of the pin under running water.

Last edited:
Used to use unglazed quarry tiles in my oven but they were thin and subject to moving and breaking, and storage was a challenge.

Found a company that made custom sized concrete stones and it’s been the best thing ever. One piece, sized just right to use almost all the rack space.

Soapstone will work too I imagine.

I’ll update this when I can find the source.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I've noticed rolling pins are not on a real pizza maker's table. They prefer to throw the dough in the air. Why is that?? For all you amateurs like me, never let water in your rolling pins when washing them or the ball bearings will rust and your rolling pin will become a baseball bat. Simply rinse off the pin at a slant below the opening of the pin under running water.

I certainly don't know how to use a rolling pin.

13417392955_537225c826.jpg

I only put it up in the air 'for show'. Like for the kids or guests. 'slapping' or stretching to increase the size while keeping the center an even thickness is the difficult part.

When little Rodney's Mom and Dad were hungry, they wanted a pizza but had very little money. Mom asked Dad, "what can we do"??? Dad said "We'll trade in little Rodney..we might get a small cheese pie if we're lucky"

I've noticed rolling pins are not on a real pizza maker's table. They prefer to throw the dough in the air. Why is that?? For all you amateurs like me, never let water in your rolling pins when washing them or the ball bearings will rust and your rolling pin will become a baseball bat. Simply rinse off the pin at a slant angle below the opening of the pin under running water.

I certainly don't know how to use a rolling pin.

13417392955_537225c826.jpg

I only put it up in the air 'for show'. Like for the kids or guests. 'slapping' or stretching to increase the size while keeping the center an even thickness is the difficult part.

I've worked for most of the national pizza chains and several local places during college, here's my take.

Once you have the dough flattened by hand (like Grant's pic above) it takes roughly 10 seconds to throw/slap it. Actually throwing it in the air is like Grant said "for show" mainly because it doesn't really add anything to it and adds possibility of dropping it.

I would say that not all dough is stretchable in this fashion and requires a rolling pin. Some of the store bought dough seems to tear instead of stretch, so I use a rolling pin.

What's a good Italian sausage to use?

I'm a fan of "Hawaiian" pizzas and pineapple cooked can be quite tasty. Round Table's Maui Zaui is very good. Throw some fresh cut pineapple spears on your BBQ for a nice treat.

Italian Sausage: Johnsonville Italian sausages (hot/mild/sweet) aren't too bad, squeeze the meat out of the sausage casing and cook it up. OR ground sausage from the butcher works well too. Sausage & black olive pizza is one of my favorites.

Round Table pizza is one of my favorite pizza places. They no longer have them near me or at all in Arizona.

TMO Supporting Vendors