The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO's Pizza Port

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
First attempt at a Detroit-style pizza. There was a place down the street from the bar I worked at in college who made this in a wood-fired brick oven and it was divine. I wasn't able to find any brick cheese for a truly authentic Detroit-style so I substituted mozzarella and monterey. Mine isn't divine, but for a first attempt I'm extremely pleased!PXL_20220320_023618827.jpgPXL_20220320_025408751.jpgPXL_20220320_025624880.jpgPXL_20220320_025655656.jpg

Last edited:
Article in today's Sunday paper about 2 New Haven pizza places ( Sally's and Zuppardi's) offering their tasty pies shipped to your door. Sally's is actually located on New Haven's famed Wooster St, a few doors down from world famous Pepe's. Zuppardi's is located in nearby West Haven. I, personally believe a pizza should be enjoyed right out of the oven, but if you can't get to Ct to savor a New Haven treat maybe this frozen option might be your next best bet. My favorite New Haven Pizza is Modern Pizza, but Sally's is a close second on my list..... https://www.ctpost.com/food/article/sallys-zuppardis-new-haven-pizza-shipped-17064817.php

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I make my own pizzas, so I'll scan the 28 pages of this thread to see what you guys are doing. I've done my dough three ways, Fleischmann's pizza crust yeast, store bought, or pizza joint bought. Pizza joint bought is my favorite because I can control the rise time easier. I usually give $5 for three 14" pizza dough balls.

You can also pull back on the yeast in your home dough to get it to rise however slowly you want. I usually make a biga (preferment) with instant yeast for my pie dough, and use 1 gram yeast for that. Then the biga is used in the main dough, no additional yeast. Great flavor because of the long fermentation and slower rise. The final dough can be used that day or put in the fridge and used within the next ~3-4 days. The fridge slows down the fermentation quite well.

Pizza joint bought dough is my favorite
When I was growing up, my Mom would make Her own pizza for us on Sundays. We'd buy a pound of dough from an Italian bakery after Church, that was a block away. That special tradition (treat) lasted until me and my 2 brothers grew older and 1 pizza wasn't enough for everybody anymore. Mom refused to make more than 1 pie.....Oh well, It was good while it lasted.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Article in today's Sunday paper about 2 New Haven pizza places ( Sally's and Zuppardi's) offering their tasty pies shipped to your door. Sally's is actually located on New Haven's famed Wooster St, a few doors down from world famous Pepe's. Zuppardi's is located in nearby West Haven. I, personally believe a pizza should be enjoyed right out of the oven, but if you can't get to Ct to savor a New Haven treat maybe this frozen option might be your next best bet. My favorite New Haven Pizza is Modern Pizza, but Sally's is a close second on my list..... https://www.ctpost.com/food/article/sallys-zuppardis-new-haven-pizza-shipped-17064817.php
Sweet, must have got the idea from places like Lou Malnati's and Gino's East that my Shikago friends do for a party.

Had Modern Apizza last time I was back and thought it was pretty darn good, certainly better than like John's best or Mystic. Frank's still on top though.

Son surprised us yesterday by inviting us out for pizza. We went to Brewport. It's a brewery/pizza place in Bridgeport. I haven't been there since before the pandemic. They offer over 25 kinds of beer (on tap) and the thinnest crust pizza I've ever had.It's a little pricey, but it's a treat once in a while. I usually get a Coke with my pizza but since this was a brewery I splurged and had a beer with Son. I got a " Blood Orange IPA" (6.2%) and Son topped me with a " Old News Double" * (8.0%). Hon couldn't find a beer she liked, after a few samples, and ended up with a Sangria special........Good beer, good pizza,good time with family......you can't beat that with a stick, even a big one.....;)...... http://brewportct.com/

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
That looks great!

My aunt got me a Detroit-style pizza kit but the ingredients are...iffy. The pan seems like it'll be good for it though and I appreciate her gift.

I know this is blasphemy, but sometimes when I'm too lazy to make it, I've found that Walmart has some pretty good and cheap take-and-bake pizzas. They even have a Detroit-style that is pretty tasty. I just picked up a breakfast pizza with sausage gravy and a biscuit crust...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel