The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO's Pizza Port

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I miss my Modern Pizza Trips to New Haven with evertbody as I've gotten older (not wiser).......Those trips were very special to me, not just because of the pizza, but because of the family get-togethers!!!!! As we got older those days grew farther and farther apart until now where they are only a wishful adventure...........secure your treasures while you can...;););)

https://www.nhregister.com/food_cop...plans-Florida-location-16592051.php...Nothing like the pies We ate back in the 60's when I was a kid...............did I say that right???????????...OMG........................Frank Pepe is laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...and so is his cashier......his Wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I miss those days.......memories.........memories......thank God for memories...............................................................................................................and Pepe's Pizza............................

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Hey, @302BOB have you seen the documentary "Pizza: A Love Story" that CPTV/PBS has been showing for pledge drives? Great history of New Haven pizza, featuring Pepe's, Sally's, and Modern, as well as Foxon Park Soda. Cameo appearances by C&W singer Lyle Lovett, Henry "The Fonz" Winkler, Cheap Trick guitarist Rick Nielsen, and CT concert promoter Jim Koplik (who ran Cross Country Concerts with Shelly Finkel, and was responsible for most of the big concerts in CT in the 70's and 80's).

The first line in the film is Lyle Lovett talking about New Haven pizza, "Anyone who would ever use the phrase, 'It's just pizza' - they're beyond hope."

The first section is titled "Lesson 1: It's not burnt. It's charred." :hellyeah:

Hey, I found it online -

Last edited:
Pizza, Pizza, Pizza.....It's been an obsession of mine since I was a kid! I got this from my Dad.......He was a Pizza lover to the nth degree! Pepe's (EST1925), Modern (EST1934) and Sally's EST somewhere in between were the best pizzerias you could find!!!..........ANY where!!!.....I remember Dad taking us to Pepe's in New Haven on a Sunday in the mid '60's and enjoying the best pizza I ever had!....Frank Pepe was still by the huge coal oven and his wife was sitting at the cash register.........Pepe's pizza was never quite the same once those two to went to pizza heaven......Pepe's and Sally's have expanded to other locations....Modern still remains on State St in New Haven.....I don't get there as much as I used to, but when I do it's a treat I savor!!...as I type and thinking about how good a pizza would be right now at 3AM( mind you!!!)...........forget it......the Boss is sleeping and Modern is closed.......and that pillow is calling my name........or is that Hon snoring............:shhh:

Last edited:
I have never been to Mystic pizza or heard any rave reviews about it. It's a little over an hour's drive away from me and I would have to pass directly thru New Haven's pizza mecca, which is only 20 mins away, which may explain why I never made it there yet.

Today is National Pizza Day!!!!!!.......I know Hip Hip so what..........It seems there's a day for everything now-a-days.......No pizza for me today.....I had my pizza quota last weekend....Hon bought a Dijourno rising crust pizza on sale at the store............no comment.......................................................the boys liked it, tho...........................:banghead:

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Been a while - but the wife set up a couple chicago pies. (was going to be just one, but made just a bit too much dough as we like to keep the dough stretched as thin as we can)

Made the sauce from scratch, the dough from scratch and we've been growing our own basil and other herbs. Worth the cardio needed to work it off.

IMG_8360.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Been a while - but the wife set up a couple chicago pies. (was going to be just one, but made just a bit too much dough as we like to keep the dough stretched as thin as we can)

Made the sauce from scratch, the dough from scratch and we've been growing our own basil and other herbs. Worth the cardio needed to work it off.

View attachment 85141
Those look fantastic. Care to share the recipes?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Those look fantastic. Care to share the recipes?

"knockoff lou malnati's" chicago pizza dough
90% 315g AP flour (bread flour ok) + 10% 35g semolina (or just 350g AP flour)
20% 70g oil - (20g vegetable/olive, 50g corn)
57% 200g warm water
1 tsp active dry yeast
optional: 80g sourdough starter (reduce ADY accordingly to 1/2)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

activate yeast in warm water, add ingrediants and lightly knead for 1min. cover and let rise on counter at least 6 hours, or in fridge overnight (or up to 2 nights ahead). Overnight recommended especially if using sourdough starter

(yield 1x14" and 1x8", or two 9" pies)

Sauce (I like this for both chicago style and neapolitan)
28-30oz crushed tomatoes
2TBSP butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, fine diced
1/2 Tbsp oregano
1 TSP red pepper flakes (adjust to preference, I like a bit of heat)
1 TSP salt
1 TSP sugar

sauce-melt butter in pan, add onions, pepper flakes, salt, oregano - cook till golden. Add garlic, 30s-1min, then add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 or until thickened. Less is more given the sauce continues to cook when you bake the pizza

Assemble (I like sliced mozz + pepperoni + fresh basil and parm at the end) and bake at 450-425 for 30 min or until golden crust.

The neapolitan pizzas are via " Jeff Verasano ", its an "new york" style recipe, but its pretty darn traditional - https://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Last edited:

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
That seems like a lot of effort, but it appears to be worth it. Do you have a deep dish pan for these? I'm likely too lazy to attempt this, but I am still curious. Thank you for sharing.

Yes, we have a few round pans that are 1-2" deep. The chicago pies are much easier to make than the neapolitan, but I enjoy the process as much as the result.

I was surprised that Modern Pizza of New Haven, Ct was mentioned a couple times on the Varasano's web page and even rated above Sally's! I never realized they were that famous!.....I always loved Modern Pizza from the first day I had it......and I'm surly due for another visit....The last time Hon, Son and me were there was a Saturday and the wait time to get in was over an hour.........too long to be standing out in the cold for this old dog!

TMO Supporting Vendors