The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

To CAI or Not to CAI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebxb

2012 BOSS 302 0782 no mods yet
Texas
have 12 boss
Jay Leno says factory CAI is best (for 13)

local guys and online disagree touting conical filter, smooth bore plumbing and removing the cabin reroute

Your thoughts?????

Performance gains will only be had with an aftermarket tune. I'm still on a stock tune with TK.

IMG_3312_zps668c7fc0.jpg

There are some posts from an owner who installed the Airaid CF intake on his boss and tested it for a magazine. Made decent power with no tune. I think no matter what, you need a tune to maximize any mod on these cars. The OEM parts always have room to improve.

As for me, I installed the above mentioned intake and noticed a difference. It's a butt dyno difference, but the car pulls stronger and the power band seems much smoother now. Again, doesn't mean it made tons of power by any means, only a real dyno will tell and I don't expect that it did. BUT it did change how the car drives just enough for me to enjoy it more so that's what counts.

NFSBOSS said:

The TB looks good on your car NFSBOSS. any improvment in throddle response or HP gains. Any idea if a tune is required. I hear all differant opions
was thinking of installing the Ford Racing TB. Where would I get the best price? And I guess that the spacer is required...correct

So when you install the aftermarket tune, it overrides the TK tune? I'm sure it voids warranty? So would it be better to do this after warranty expires.

raptor said:
So when you install the aftermarket tune, it overrides the TK tune? I'm sure it voids warranty? So would it be better to do this after warranty expires.

I believe it does overwrite the TK tune but that should be saved on the tuner. I am not sure about the warranty but I think Ford still has to prove that your tune caused a failure which I don't think has happened in a long time.

boss man said:
The TB looks good on your car NFSBOSS. any improvment in throddle response or HP gains. Any idea if a tune is required. I hear all differant opions
was thinking of installing the Ford Racing TB. Where would I get the best price? And I guess that the spacer is required...correct

The Ford Racing throttle body is no longer available. Accufab made the Ford Racing one and is still available without the Logo. No throttle spacer is required. Without a tune, the throttle is more responsive, I can't speak on with the tune as I am running this exact setup with the TK. Hope this helps.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I have the Airaid CF CAI, the Ford Racing TB, and an AED tune.....significant difference from Track Key tune!

Yes Track Key tune is stored on the SCT and don't know about warranty have not had to take it in since installing

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My 2 pennies worth.... I bought a SCT X4 and will be doing a AED tune soon. When I talked to Shaun, he said the stock box is not so bad if it gets good air flow. I noticed then when I took my 2012 front grill off, the cars did not over heat, AND it was faster!! You can see that the fog light cover is right in front of the snorkel. Have to watch out birds do not get sucked in (not kidding, a bird committed suicide at the track and narrowly missed the intake).

I also tried out the canned Boss tune on the SCT X4 (93 octane etc) and this was the result on the straight at my last time trail at our new track (The ZL1 always left me behind before....please excuse the Porsches bad driving etiquette, he was disqualified).

http://youtu.be/-DF3Whb1MfM

Has anyone tried using the stock air box with a NACA duct or something else to direct the air into it to increase air flow?

There have been several tests with different CAI's and none of them have really showed a performance improvement despite a slight increase in HP over a tuned Stock CAI. I would just stick with the stock CAI instead of getting an aftermarket one.

steveespo said:
My favorite CAI

Cleanfirewall_zps30506086.jpg

Seriously, if you are spending money on a CAI for performance gain, get one with a larger than stock inlet tube and get an AED tune. The gains will be worth it.
Steve

Does that indentation that is by the coolant overflow tank go into the intake tract? Like do you think it might cause interference with the flow of air into the TB?

boss man said:
I don't want to oversell this but yes it does feel more responsive but I doubt it's any faster. As already stated no spacer is required. I'm local to AED and one of these days I'll let them tune my car and do dyno pulls stock, with Airaid, with Airaid and TB then Airaid, TB and AED tune.

TMO Supporting Vendors