The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

To TK, or not to TK... that is the question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am not likely to run on a track (don't you have to have roll bar and harnesses, etc for that?), but have the Red Key which when I stopped by the dealer here I was told are not being sent with the last cars they have gotten. Their last buyer had to get it from Ford for $185, THEN the software and install (another $400).

Anyway, that's another story, I have the Red key. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and have the software installed anyway, even though I am not likely to track the car. Just thinking ahead, I wonder if they (Ford) will sometime after having some problems from cars with this installed, will stop sending the software and stop covering warranty (honoring the cars they have already installed, of course).

What are the thoughts from you highly trained, experienced and knowledgeable guys on here? ;D Any "fun" benefit to having it anyway? Also, could be something that would be worthwhile for future car value I guess?

Since all cars are sold with two keys, the last couple of Boss buyers at that dealership got their cars with two black keys?

I like having the TK. imo, the throttle response and engine braking would be too much in stop and go traffic. But for the times you just want some fun, I really like the TK.

As log as Ford makes TK available to Boss cars now and in the future, I don't see it adding much, if any, value to a trade-in.

I'm not sure what key(s) they received, I assume 2 black keys. The Sales guy may not have known what he was talking about, but that's what he told me. As for value, for this car, I would never trade and sell to another Ford officianado :). I am hoping to hold this one (unless I lose my mind). I would trade the Cayman, my Sport Trak, and a couple of cats for either of the 2 Mustangs I used to have. Sold the 70 Mach 1 for $2500 bucks :mad: back in 1981.

Okay, the cats would go pretty much for just a drive in my old cars. ;D

BLAZN BOSS

Im not going to purchase until everyone who posts on here is absoulutly satisfied each time an install is acomplished.

BOSS1289 said:
The Sales guy may not have known what he was talking about, but that's what he told me.
This. If for some reason Ford didn't ship a red key it was a mistake.

I like TK and there was no way I was going to have a 2012 Boss without it. Is it the end-all in tunes? No. Is it one of the coolest features any manufacturer has ever offered on a performance car? Yes. TK makes the car feel more raw and I like that a lot. It is not something I want to use in heavy stop n go traffic but it's fun when you can get on the throttle and have some fun. I look forward to using it on a track.

If you are worried about installing TK find a dealer that has done it successfully and buy it from them. I think most of the issues have been from dealers not having their software/OS updated on their laptops not an issue with the tune itself.

I agree about the dealer, I just wasn't going to get into a discussion with him. If i were the buyer I would have been livid!

The dealer's service department I was talking with has done 3 installs to date, without any problems. $400 charge for software and install. Wasn't sure what all "changes" with the TK install, other than feeling some engine braking, since there is no reported HP increase. Sounds like there is a little bit of "feeling" difference under throttle too. That would be incredible, it already feels pretty doggone good!

I also think it is a very cool, one of a kind feature, and so will likely go ahead with the install. Need to do it while still plenty of warranty left anyway! Has anyone ironed out whether installing changes drivetrain warranty from 5yr/60k down to 3yr/36k or not?

Thanks for the feedback!

BOSS1289 said:
I am not likely to run on a track (don't you have to have roll bar and harnesses, etc for that?), but have the Red Key which when I stopped by the dealer here I was told are not being sent with the last cars they have gotten. Their last buyer had to get it from Ford for $185, THEN the software and install (another $400).

Anyway, that's another story, I have the Red key. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and have the software installed anyway, even though I am not likely to track the car. Just thinking ahead, I wonder if they (Ford) will sometime after having some problems from cars with this installed, will stop sending the software and stop covering warranty (honoring the cars they have already installed, of course).

What are the thoughts from you highly trained, experienced and knowledgeable guys on here? ;D Any "fun" benefit to having it anyway? Also, could be something that would be worthwhile for future car value I guess?

No you do not have to have a roll bar or harness to drive on the track, just dollars. You can sign up in NASA or some others just to try it on the track. If you have a Boss and never run on a track and let it go, you are missing something. You don't need track key either. The first time I ran my Boss it was with the black key because red was not available yet.

I had no problems with track key installation. This was my dealers first but the tech was familiar and in less than an hour he was done. Put the software in if you feel comfortable but it's not necessary. Of course all the guys in my club want me to start it so they can hear it idle.

98RedGT

2012 #552
TracKey = Awesome ;D

I may never track mine either, haven't decided yet never having done it and all, but getting TracKey was well worth it. The car feels, responds and sounds much different when running with red key.

I doubt I'll ever track mine....but the changes with key are noticeable (and yes, it's still able to drive in on the street and barnstorm back roads). If you drive with different keys back to back, you'll notice the throttle response to be slower in the black key, almost mushy feeling compared to the red key.

It's a cool feature, maybe a bit gimmicky...but you can easily switch back to normal by swapping a key...any other aftermarket tune would be much more difficult!

To trackey or not well I will say it does give a few extras with it. first off the pit speed limiter well this one is for tracks so if you dont go on a track then it means nothing second is launch control well this is great I love it and to do this without the key fine yes you can but it costs third the tune well the throttle response is great it does make mine hit the rev limiter much faster the car gets very agressive comared to not having it I am very confident on a track the trackey will win hands down ok to sum it up I will only say if you own the car you should own the key yes it may be a pain getting someone who knows how to install it right but well worth the hassle almost forgot the idle well open up the side pipes or install a qtp like myself and yes it does idle pretty nice also would likt to mention the entire sound is different with the key and side pipes open. I am 100% happy with the key

Maui
I got TK installed first day and have no regrets... I'd probably have gotten it anyways even if i wasn't planning on tacking the car to the track. Launch control is awesome! The lopey idle seems a bit toned down from what I heard originally, but still pretty cool. I thought warranty wise TK was not supposed to affect the original warranty unless the problem to be repaired was secondary to TK, in which case you'd be covered under the 3 year, 30000 mile warranty..

For now I'm still a no go on the Trackey. If in the future I have $400 burning a hole in my pocket, maybe I'll get it then. I don't really see any performance advantage to it on or off the track. I'm not a big fan of over aggressive throttle mapping. It makes it harder to be smooth and that's not what you want when you're near the limit of traction.

I like the concept of having two tunes ready to good, just change the key. If someone wants to make a tune that makes some power increase that uses the two key I'm all ears.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I personally wouldn't classify it as overly aggressive, it's more like appropriate for track use in my mind. So is the engine braking. Also the engagement of the nannies if you use them. The loopy idle is, of course, candy coating.

I will never track my car, but not putting the TK program might make it super tough to sell it one day If i had to. It is just another part of the BOSS, and history. I love the sound, response, launch feature etc.
As others have stated we are the first, camaro, charger, challenger, NEVER had a track key, just hemi, and bow tie....lol.
Also at car shows everyone wants to see the key, and dash, everyone thinks it is cool, and even chevy guys want one.... ;D

Lots of good comments and thoughts! I am still deciding, but I like the idea that it is something that is special to the boss, and so that may be the deciding factor in the end.

I'm sort of on the fence about the TK also. Ive got all winter to think about it, more then likely I will. Besides the hiccups with the programming after the release I think it will be a fun way to start the driving season.

TMO Supporting Vendors