The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

To TK, or not to TK... that is the question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgia
I too am on the fence with regards to Track Key. Since I will not receive my car until next week (fingers crossed on this one), as much as I would like this neat "toy", I am concerned about the "issues" that many have posted over this past year; transmission, clutch, rear end, oil consumption, etc., etc. My initial thoughts are to drive the car for a few months to shake it out, and then make the decision. Note, obviously my concerns have not swayed me from purchasing what will be my first new Mustang... ever! I have owned quite a few, and currently own three others, but this will be my first "one" owner. ;D

I do believe that there will be future "value" for those cars that have the Track Key option.

Track key can always be added later. So, why do you feel the cars with TK will have added value? :confused

Georgia
Typically, the more factory options, the better. While Track Key is not technically a factory option, it has been advertised as part of the Boss 302 experience since day 1. It will interesting to see what forms of Track Key are used by the auto makers in the future. Such a cool feature.

Just my opinion of course. ;)

I was on the fence to on the install especially since the first time i went for the install i was there for four hrs and luck. Then after goingback andfourth with myself i said ill do it. Iti is friggin awesome especially one you pull the side exhaust discs out. Trust me DO IT?

A question for those with TK. When using launch control at say about 4-5k rpm does the car do a burn out or do you have to regulate the throttle? I just seen a video and the guy launched at 5k and the tires barely broke traction. I'm assuming that's why its called launch control? This question might sound stupid to those that know but I''ll ask it anyway for those of us that don't. Thanks

I have only launched around 2600 to3000 rpm but it will break the tires easy I would guess if the guy did not break tires he must have had the pedal only part way down to launch the car is agressive with the key and will light the tires up real real easy compared to not haveing the key they tell you to start out launching pedal to the floor at 2600 rpm so you dont break the tires taking off. I am more then sure the guy must have had the pedal only part way down 5000 rpm will light those tires right up.

Now I understand, make sense. I guess it only helps maintaining the rpm and the rest is up to the driver. Thanks for clarifying that for me, not sure if launch control would be a benefit or not. I'll find out in spring when I get the TK installed.Thanks again

racered302 said:
Now I understand, make sense. I guess it only helps maintaining the rpm and the rest is up to the driver. Thanks for clarifying that for me, not sure if launch control would be a benefit or not. I'll find out in spring when I get the TK installed.Thanks again

If you drag race someone it will be a benifit.

TMO Supporting Vendors