The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

To X Pipe or Not To X Pipe? UPDATE X installed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I need some advice.

Planning on installing a Griggs Torque Arm Kit. My installer and I both forgot that the Kit will not work with the OEM H Pipe and side exhausts.

So, I can leave the setup the way it is and not install the Torque Arm or do away with the side exhausts (which I really like. And I know it's aesthetics).

So, X Pipe users help?

I'm running Roush A/B with Jegs Performance SS Cat Deletes now.

FRPP X pipe is installed.
One of the issues that I had after original post was after the AED Tunes and Cat Deletes, I would get serious backfires. It was definitely too much. So with potential suspension upgrades and the need for better performance , I went for the X pipes.

1. Idle: It's definitely a lower tone (I thought it would be higher pitched than the H) and the AED Lopey is very nice with the X
2. WOT: higher pitched there for sure; but I like the sound.
3. Quieter in the cabin of course with no sides
4. Still getting backfires; but about 60% in volume and sound level
5. Performance: "seat of the pants Dyno" says definite improvement. I'll be able to tell better Friday night at TMS drags

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Re: To X Pipe or Not To X Pipe?

I have the American racing headers and x pipe now and I love they way they sound but mine retained the side exhaust.

is it to late to send the torque arm back and go with something else?

Justin said:
I have the American racing headers and x pipe now and I love they way they sound but mine retained the side exhaust.

is it to late to send the torque arm back and go with something else?

Not too late. Trying to come up with alternatives.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Just installed the Lethal O/R X pipe on my car; that plus the Roush axlebacks sounds awesome. Super loud, though. I feel bad for my neighbors. It is a lot more raspy than an H-Pipe setup, some people may not like that, but it sounds VERY racy now.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

looking at the kit I dont see where the side pipe is the issue. the arm comes up through the center. it mentions on there site that an x pipe would make it easier but the h will work with some minor welding.

Minor modification to exhaust system H pipe required. Simple weld in X pipe section is available for those that want to improve exhaust performance or sound. Installation requires welding. (This is the only welding to the car of any chassis component we offer for 05 and newer Mustangs. Welding is minimal)

ArizonaGT said:
Just installed the Lethal O/R X pipe on my car; that plus the Roush axlebacks sounds awesome. Super loud, though. I feel bad for my neighbors. It is a lot more raspy than an H-Pipe setup, some people may not like that, but it sounds VERY racy now.

So, in other words, you are not missing "our beloved side pipes"?

Justin said:
looking at the kit I dont see where the side pipe is the issue. the arm comes up through the center. it mentions on there site that an x pipe would make it easier but the h will work with some minor welding.

Minor modification to exhaust system H pipe required. Simple weld in X pipe section is available for those that want to improve exhaust performance or sound. Installation requires welding. (This is the only welding to the car of any chassis component we offer for 05 and newer Mustangs. Welding is minimal)

Thanks. I saw that also.. Waiting for installer to explain.

isrboss

I ditched my h-pipe side exit for FRPP x-pipe and slp muffler deletes. I don't miss the extra weight one bit, and the sound is great.

Justin said:

Quads got to go for Torque Arm to fit. It does say minor welds, etc. but that's for a disclaimer. Different cars, different situation. He's done Shelby's, Roush's , Bosses, GT's....each one has different application.

You won't miss the side exits IMO. With a loud enough exhaust it just sounds better, just as loud and not right at your ear works much better for me.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

LoL, I'm the type to never remove Stripes or side pipes.
I love the back pressure sounds on deceleration.

unrealford said:

Sounds better with cherry bomb style mufflers, get some nice loud backfires from time to time.

unrealford said:

You are correct on the back pressure barks, crackles and explosions. I laugh every time .

This is why I'm so conflicted.

ArizonaGT said:

you still get the decel cracks, barks, etc.??

I dont get gurgles and pops on the bama tune. I went back to stock tune for a while and all fun sounds came back. Back on bama, and they are gone again. Wonder if AED will make a difference. Going x-pipe is awesome, but it will be raspy. I love the race car rasp, especially with the jpc over axles and 13' shelby s-types. If you want that deep thunder go with an h pipe. If you want that crackling sound when the storm is close, go x pipe :D. Cant go wrong with either though!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Boss949 said:
you still get the decel cracks, barks, etc.??
Oh yeah.

And I am on an AED tune, FWIW.

Update:

I just made up my mind to install the X pipe; then found out that there is a new suspension product in the pipeline. It will be a few weeks before being released. Going to wait for it. Design might allow me to keep the side pipes.

AED/CAI/ Jacking Rails should be done by Monday.

Thanks for all the replies and good info.

Boss949 said:
Update:

I just made up my mind to install the X pipe; then found out that there is a new suspension product in the pipeline. It will be a few weeks before being released. Going to wait for it. Design might allow me to keep the side pipes.
AED/CAI/ Jacking Rails should be done by Monday.

Thanks for all the replies and good info.

Do you have any details on the new suspension product?

TMO Supporting Vendors