The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tony Stewart Sprint Car Racing Accident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I really can't believe that Tony Stewart would be so reckless that he killed a young man with his Sprint car because he was yelling at Tony while walking on the track under caution, after Stewart spun him out the lap before. There is video on you tube and it is horrifying.

I have always respected his talent in all kinds of race cars, but also realized he is a me first, I'm always right jerk, but this is beyond belief.
He channeling of AJ Foyt has no now put him in serious jeopardy, and I feel has brought disgrace to all of motorsports.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Re: Something really wrong with Tony Stewart

Not saying you're wrong, but apparently he did tun left before the impact. No one will ever know if this was intentional or not. I'm not defending him, and I know little about NASCAR. If your right he should be banned from the sport. If it was an accident, then Wood has only himself to blame. My guess is we'll never really know.

-Pete

If you see the #45, he has to swerve at the last second to avoid the driver in the #13. Tony was right behind the #45. And being on the curve, Tony couldn't see to the right of the #45. I believe he never saw him until the last second. Dark, not the greatest lighting on this track and dirt in the air. Driver was in mostly black clothing and probably should have stayed in his car. Sorry to see what happened for sure though. I have seen too many drivers get out of there cars after crashes or spin outs, at few races I have attended this year at other tracks. It's not safe!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

The only question I have that contradicts all the reasons Tony didn't see him is why did he get on the throttle and get the car sideways right when he hit him. Was it an attempt to get the car rotated left to get away from him or was he trying to scare him away with a dirt shower and it went horribly wrong? I never imagine that he would ever hit him on purpose but did anger and arrogance get the better of his judgement and immense talent?
Steve

Looks like two hot heads colliding during a race and tragedy happens. Boy that sure doesn't look good for Tony and hopefully there's video that can clear this up one way or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qILmIyG6qno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cUtsd6fyrcI

We'll probably never know what was going on in Stewart's head. That'll be for God to sort out. We know exactly what was going on in Ward's head--he was darting back and forth to get in Stewart's path--and he got what he asked for. You get out of your car on a hot track, you are stupid. You try to step in front of a race car on a hot track and you will be killed.

IMO the guy who died was a complete moron for walking down into the line. A classic example of what not to do in that situation.

steveespo said:
The only question I have that contradicts all the reasons Tony didn't see him is why did he get on the throttle and get the car sideways right when he hit him. Was it an attempt to get the car rotated left to get away from him or was he trying to scare him away with a dirt shower and it went horribly wrong? I never imagine that he would ever hit him on purpose but did anger and arrogance get the better of his judgement and immense talent?
Steve
This could be it right there. I've done this skiing when a friend falls and you shower them with snow and the same on a dirt bike. Just yesterday I was watching the Nationwide race @ WG when a driver got taken out and then ran out onto the track for a similar gesture to the driver that bumped him. Take it to the pits!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Totally agree that getting out of a car on a hot track is really stupid. Especially dirt track at night. Just a real tragedy that should never have happened. Make our sport take a huge step backwards in the eyes of the general public who already think we are just dumb hicks going around in circles in our expensive toys.
Steve

The stupidity of the killed driver is without question. It's also not terribly relevant. Tony didn't intentionally hit him, but he did intentionally not avoid him. Then a deadly accident occurred.

I don't know how fast we think human beings "dart" but...it isn't impressive. A professional race car driver of Tony's caliber could have avoided him by a lot. A whole lot. I mean a really, really lot. That car is probably equipped with brakes, too. As for not being able to see him, well, he knew he was there, because he put him there. That's why there was (presumably) a yellow flag and the slower speeds. Also, the camera didn't have any trouble seeing the guy from hundreds of feet away.

The kid was pointing right at Tony. If Tony wasn't looking right back at him then he is the biggest vagina in racing. Or, he didn't see him, which makes him inept and dangerous. Or, he saw him and tried to avoid him, which makes him inept and dangerous, or he saw him and tried to give him a fly-by or a dirt spray and he killed him, which again makes him inept and dangerous, but also makes him a reprehensible psychopath.

The kid made a grave mistake (which NASCAR stokes as part of their legend, by the way), but Tony unwisely chose not to avoid the trouble, and that is what will cost him so dearly.

If he didnt get out of his car, none of this would of happened. Rules need to be changed. it has become all to offten you see a driver wrecked, and gets out of his car to confront or throw a helmet at the driver who he thinks is responsiable. I agree with the statement..Take it to the pits. A driver should be fined or maybe even have to sit out a race or two if he exits his car to confront another driver. its sad to say but it always take death to make changes.

As far as>>>did Steward see him. Only Tony knows the truth. This will be something that will haunt him the rest of his life. I feel that if he did see him and hit him by something that went wrong. It will end his driving of the #14 for the rest of his life. taking another human life even if it was an accident that went wrong takes a huge toll on ones Brain to live with that forever.

IMO and that does'nt mean squat. It was an accident that went deadly wrong leaving one dead and one to have this haunt you every day. What a dam shame.

Not terribly relevant? I guarandamnteeya he'd be alive if he stayed in his car. I've been penalized for taking my gloves off while sitting in my car teetering on armco a hundred yards from the racing surface (don't ask how I got there).

We ain't playing tiddly-winks, boys!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Rules do need to change. Getting out of the car should be a huge penalty now.

Most sports need some cleanup in the fight and confrontation department.

I don't get why it's ever allowed to throw the first punch. Athletes are on the job with co-workers and colleagues. If I ever punched a co-worker or colleague, I would expect to be fired and go to jail.

cosm3os said:
Not terribly relevant? I guarandamnteeya he'd be alive if he stayed in his car.

What I'm saying is that the kid's stupidity doesn't help us solve for Tony's behavior in this situation. Why don't we just say "what if there hadn't been car contact?" Or, better yet, "what if there were no such thing as car racing?" Would the kid still be alive in any of these situations? These questions aren't useful to the situation at hand. Addressing actions and behaviors when things go wrong is what rulemaking in general (and this debate specifically), is all about. The kid's stupidity is what went wrong, but isn't relevant to Tony's response to him. If the kid left his car legitimately, say, because he was on fire, Tony's duty to not run him over would be the same.

Now, if you are debating whether or not there should be rules about leaving the car, then the kid's behavior becomes relevant. I just don't think that's a very debatable topic and I agree with the folks that think there should be harsh penalties attached to that action.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Let's not forget the Stewart once got out of his spun out and wrecked car, climbed over pit wall and drilled his helmet in to the windshield of Matt Kenseths car a few years ago. NASCAR still ran that commercial up to this season. Suppose Kenseth spun out and crashed into crew members servicing another car. Rules for leaving your car to taunt or confront other drivers or crew members on the track or in the pits should be forbidden in all racing series. If a driver gets out due to fire, or injury there should be not penalty. The Kindergarten stuff needs to be punished with DQ and a one race unappealable suspension.
A great driver and excellent car owner is going to have his career seriously jeopardized because of a moment of rage. A young man lost his life because of his own moment of rage. Both should be unacceptable if the sport is going to survive.

Remember our hobby is at the mercy of insurance companies. One incident like this in an amateur race or event and you can be sure we won't be participating anymore, at least not at the inexpensive cost we have. I pay about the same for a day today as I did in 1987, pretty amazing.
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Jimmy Pribble said:
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Tony hit him on purpose.

Agreed. Doesn't sound like anybody is saying that.

And I think more than a one race suspension would be in order. Maybe three or the rest of a season. I'm sure I'd be banned if I did that at a HPDE. Why do pros get so many passes for being stupid?

An awful lot of STUPID comments and jumping to conclusions on this a very tragic incident for ALL involved.

Rules do have to change...tony is a hot head anyway.....and going on to a track where cars are going 50 mph, well, you might as well cross the freeway at your local city

More on this tragic accident. I think most of us know that the wheels on sprint cars stick out significantly on the right side of the car but much of the public does not know this. Tony has been receiving criticism for his participating in sprint car races and here's a quote from him about why he continues to race to this day that I thought was interesting. Regardless if he's an idiot or not I always respected the fact that he stayed with hit roots in racing.

“I just like it,” Stewart said. “I’ve always liked dirt racing. I’ve always liked racing sprint cars, and it’s just what I enjoy doing. Everybody has hobbies. Everybody has stuff they like to do when they have downtime, and that’s just what it is for me. That’s what I like to do when I have extra time.” I bet his sprint car racing days are over.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/10/tony-stewart-kills-kevin-ward-sprint-car-video/

TMO Supporting Vendors