The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Took my GT350R out to Laguna Seca [vid]

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very nice. How did you do with the sound meter?

David Ray thought you blew 98 plus your first session while I was there. After talking with Aaron I think a similar Laguna pipes setup you had on your 302S will work on the 350's. It won't get you down to 90 but it will help. The exhaust tips are easily removeable which will make installing the pipes very easy.

It will be a rare occasion for someone to drive a 302S and 350R back to back on the same track on the same day. Can you please compare the two on track and which is faster?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'd think slip-over pipes would work on the actual exhaust tips, not the 'air-cooled' cosmetic parts.

Maybe Ford needed to make a Laguna Seca track mode! ;)

VoodooBOSS said:
David Ray thought you blew 98 plus your first session while I was there. After talking with Aaron I think a similar Laguna pipes setup you had on your 302S will work on the 350's. It won't get you down to 90 but it will help. The exhaust tips are easily removeable which will make installing the pipes very easy.

It will be a rare occasion for someone to drive a 302S and 350R back to back on the same track on the same day. Can you please compare the two on track and which is faster?
David is thinking of the third session, I had been gradually adding throttle to see how much I could get away with past the sound booth and I finally found the limit where the butterflies opened up.

Comparison of the two cars: the 302S is more buttoned down, feels (and is) lighter, and has significantly more grip with the pirelli slicks. The 350 has substantially more power on the top end, and also has better brakes. The 302 is set up for understeer and you need to wrestle it into a corner; the 350 is more neutral and willing to rotate on brake or gas.

I think a 350r on slicks would walk briskly (2-3 sec\lap) away from a 302s due to power and brakes.

I was there on the 21st of May with my white GT350 Track Pack (#17) and got nailed for sound twice! The first time, I accidentally forgot to change the exhaust back to the quiet and with moderate throttle in 4th I was 96 dB. During the last session, I wanted to see how it did with the quiet setting and in 4th at moderate throttle, 4500 rpm I popped 94 dB. The temperature was in the low 70s, so it wasn't too hot.

I was quite disappointed to set off sound since I had never set it off in my 302LS. And, it takes incredible restraint not to nail it coming out of 5!

If anyone has plans for elbows to direct the sound to the left, please let me know. I live not to far, and try to go as often as possible and with the ever increasing sound restrictions, it is becoming more challenging for everyone.

sum1 said:
I was there on the 21st of May with my white GT350 Track Pack (#17) and got nailed for sound twice! The first time, I accidentally forgot to change the exhaust back to the quiet and with moderate throttle in 4th I was 96 dB. During the last session, I wanted to see how it did with the quiet setting and in 4th at moderate throttle, 4500 rpm I popped 94 dB. The temperature was in the low 70s, so it wasn't too hot.

I was quite disappointed to set off sound since I had never set it off in my 302LS. And, it takes incredible restraint not to nail it coming out of 5!

If anyone has plans for elbows to direct the sound to the left, please let me know. I live not to far, and try to go as often as possible and with the ever increasing sound restrictions, it is becoming more challenging for everyone.
Thanks for the reminder.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11314.new#new

Some times I don't get the sound restrictions at all. When we had an SCCA regional here at Texas Motor Speedway and had to adhere to DB level requirement. Keep in mind however this is where 40 Sprint Cup cars went at it just a few weeks before. ???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
k98dave said:
Some times I don't get the sound restrictions at all. When we had an SCCA regional here at Texas Motor Speedway and had to adhere to DB level requirement. Keep in mind however this is where 40 Sprint Cup cars went at it just a few weeks before. ???

They are there to appease the local residents who complain of the track being too loud. With Laguna, they get 5 weekends a year where they can run unlimited--and these are typically granted to pro racing events such as Moto GP, IMSA, and PWC. The whole thing sucks for the enthusiast.

Here is a brief summary of the situation--pardon the expletives:

k8NWGFL.png

I personally love unlimited sound days. When NASA was there a few weeks ago I heard the sweet sweet sound of race cars while golfing at Bayonet/Black Horse

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
krt22 said:
I personally love unlimited sound days. When NASA was there a few weeks ago I heard the sweet sweet sound of race cars while golfing at Bayonet/Black Horse

Agreed. The sound of uncorked [side] pipes is a thing of beauty!

TMO Supporting Vendors