The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Took The BOSS To Test & Tune Last Night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I brought my BOSS and my SHO to the drag strip for some fun. (Son drove the SHO and then we switched) The SHO smoked the BOSS all night long. Severe wheel hop prevented the BOSS from being competitive so some changes are coming soon. The best et for the BOSS was 13.05 @ 112 and the SHO went 13.14 @ 108. The SHO leaves on the BOSS every time and you can cut lights with that car.

Daily driver ONE...BOSS ZERO.

We will get there eventually.

DSCN0246.jpg

DSCN0245.jpg

DSCN0244.jpg

I wouldn't call that margin smoking, but that SHO is mighty impressive. That's my idea of a grocery getter! Now take them to a road race circuit and tell us how that goes.

Mike

RoushF150 said:
The best et for the BOSS was 13.05 @ 112 and the SHO went 13.14 @ 108. The SHO leaves on the BOSS every time and you can cut lights with that car.

Is that a typo? I don't drag race but the Boss seems to be the better numbers

GA
I watched the new episode of American Top Gear this week where they compared the new police cars from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. The Ford Police Interceptor is basically a modified SHO. It spanked the Chevy and Dodge big time in the 0-100-0 acceleration and braking test, and won overall.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
PJWANNABE said:
I watched the new episode of American Top Gear this week where they compared the new police cars from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. The Ford Police Interceptor is basically a modified SHO. It spanked the Chevy and Dodge big time in the 0-100-0 acceleration and braking test, and won overall.

Saw that too and was a bit surprised by it. I'd have to look up the weights but looks like the "Interceptor" can move.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
What tires were you running? The Boss can do low 12's easily and very high 11's with slicks.

He appears to be at Cayuga in Ontario, CA. Should be good air there. The best I have done with mine (stock including tires, except an aftermarket UCA to stop the wheel hop) is 12.6's @ 113 mph.

I was at Cayuga in Ontario. I could launch the car with no wheel spin but it would just bog. Any kind of spin resulted in bad wheel hop. I had shocks set at 1 all around and 2 or 3 in the rear might have reduced the hop. Going to change LCA's and try again. Car is just at beak-in point and still has more power to come. This is my 2nd 13 BOSS and has not caught up in power to the other one yet.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
You may have stated this above somewhere - how many miles on the engine and are you running TK ?

RoushF150 said:
I was at Cayuga in Ontario. I could launch the car with no wheel spin but it would just bog. Any kind of spin resulted in bad wheel hop. I had shocks set at 1 all around and 2 or 3 in the rear might have reduced the hop. Going to change LCA's and try again. Car is just at beak-in point and still has more power to come. This is my 2nd 13 BOSS and has not caught up in power to the other one yet.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I would think that setting the rears to 5 would give a better launch because the tires would be pushed harder into the pavement. Setting the fronts at 1 would allow the front to lift more, transferring weight to the back as well.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
the MPH is right in the ball park for the BOSS seems like you just couldnt get it out the hole. what was your 60'? I have seen GT's bone stock run 12.4's on street tires I have ran 12.2's stock with a sticky tire.

PTRocks said:
RoushF150 said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I would think that setting the rears to 5 would give a better launch because the tires would be pushed harder into the pavement. Setting the fronts at 1 would allow the front to lift more, transferring weight to the back as well.

I theory, you should have all the shock set at 1. You want the rear shocks to be soft so the car will squat it's weight down. Ideally the front shock would allow the front of the car to rise quick and slowly come down.

RoushF150 said:
I was using LC. Up to 2,700 rpm it would bog any above that I got wheel spin. Best runs were with some spin but the wheel hop wouldn't let me get into it.

I use LC and leave at about 3100 rpm. I replaced my UCA only and no longer have wheel hop.

From my experience autox S197's, UCA is the best fix for wheel hop. The stock UCA allows to much axle wind up. The UCA bushing is just to soft for hard launches. LCA will improve the situation, but IMO the upper is the problem child.

427mustang

68fb42769scj88drag car2012BossYB838 LS 760 SILVER
PTRocks said:
RoushF150 said:
I was at Cayuga in Ontario. I could launch the car with no wheel spin but it would just bog. Any kind of spin resulted in bad wheel hop. I had shocks set at 1 all around and 2 or 3 in the rear might have reduced the hop. Going to change LCA's and try again. Car is just at beak-in point and still has more power to come. This is my 2nd 13 BOSS and has not caught up in power to the o

fronts in 1 position backs in 5 position add 10 lbs front tires, 5 lbs back tires no water burn out dry hop car too the lights,launch car at 4,000 rpms or untill you do not bog launching the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors