The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Top Speed Etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The majority of the posts are related to gearing, speed limiters etc.....I put up a thread to speculate about straightline speed. That way we see who gets the cookie for being closest.

cloud9 said:
Hitting over 160 on any track is tough. I'm making 575/545 rwhp/rwtq in my GT500 (~4000 lbs) with 3.73 gears and fifth is .80. At 6100 RPMs you break 160 MPH with a 305/35/18 tire. My rev limiter is set at 6500. The only track I can hit this at (and not launch off turn 1) is Brainerd International which has a MILE long front straightaway with a 60 degree banked Turn 1 that lower horsepower cars take flat out. My GT500 isn't caged, so I'm usually out of the throttle at about 160, although there's a little more there, but would require some braking into Turn 1 (and balls of steel) which will just cost you time anyway. BIR is advertised as the fastest (top speed) track in the US. I'm sure others might argue that point, but the fact is in a car making around 400 rwhp and weighing 3600 lbs, it's unlikely there will be much opportunity to get it past 160 on a road course. If you were to run something like the Texas Mile or out on the salt flats, then you might be able to push it past 170 or 180. Either way I'm hoping TracKey disables the speed limiter.

My home track is so tight and short that I never even sniff redline in 4th............but it is technically challenging and a lot of "safe" fun!

BIR sounds like it is perhaps similar to Texas World Speedway in College Station Tx. A couple of the "good" vette drivers were hitting 170-172 at the end of the straight. I never could get the last two corners right to carry enough speed onto the straight. I think I was only hitting 155 or so. But that was with the stock blower and stock pulley back in March 2008. I haven't had a chance to go back.

I do plan on making yearly trips to Terlingua Tx for the "High Speed Run" that the Terlingua Preservation Society hosts each year. A 16 mile section of highway closed down and a couple of 4 to 5 mile straights. A SuperSnake hit 182 mph this past year. Given my expected delivery date it will be 2012 before I get the LS down there.

TMO Supporting Vendors