The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Top Speed/Rev Limiter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean#4AI said:
cloud9 said:
PTRocks said:
The 1-piece Shaftmaster's unit is rated for 7500RPM (shaft speed). That works out to 155mph with the 3.73:1 diff. If you want to go faster, you'll have to go 3.55:1 like the BOSS 302R's.
With the stock tire size (27.1") and 7500 RPM in 5th gear (1:1) you would be going 162 mph (without electronic limitation). 3.55s would get you to 170 but I'd be worried about the stock DS at that speed.

???Wouldn't the driveshaft be going the same speed no matter if you had 3.73 or 3.55?

Yes it would. ;)

PTRocks said:
jimprw said:
So the Boss has a Mustang GT 2 piece driveshaft then? Hmmmm...I never really thought about the driveshaft. Anyone thinking about going to a 1 piece aluminum?

The 1-piece Shaftmaster's unit is rated for 7500RPM (shaft speed). That works out to 155mph with the 3.73:1 diff. If you want to go faster, you'll have to go 3.55:1 like the BOSS 302R's.

I'm not challenging your mathematics, but I've nailed 155 in 5th gear...twice.

12BossKB said:
And? Did the speed limiter kick in?

12BossKB said:
PTRocks said:
jimprw said:
So the Boss has a Mustang GT 2 piece driveshaft then? Hmmmm...I never really thought about the driveshaft. Anyone thinking about going to a 1 piece aluminum?

That's good to know. It's not like I've been able to explore those limits myself.

Note, I am not talking about the speed limiter, I am talking about the design limits for the driveshafts. To that end, I should restate my previous post to say: "If you want to go faster than 155(ish) without exceeding the shaft's speed limit, you will need to run 3.55 gears." The exact shaft RPM to road speed ratio is governed by both the gear ratio and tire diameter. So larger diameter tires will have a similar effect to running the taller gear.

PTRocks said:
12BossKB said:
PTRocks said:
jimprw said:

That's good to know. It's not like I've been able to explore those limits myself.

Note, I am not talking about the speed limiter, I am talking about the design limits for the driveshafts. To that end, I should restate my previous post to say: "If you want to go faster than 155(ish) without exceeding the shaft's speed limit, you will need to run 3.55 gears." The exact shaft RPM to road speed ratio is governed by both the gear ratio and tire diameter. So larger diameter tires will have a similar effect to running the taller gear.
Ok, now I "think" I'm with you ;) If we run the stock wheels/tires and run to the electronically limited 7500 RPM the top speed will be approximately 161 mph given a 26.9" tall tire, 3.73 rear gear in fifth 1:1 transmission ratio http://www.wallaceracing.com/calcmph.php (i.e. there is not a separate "speed limiter" programmed into the ECU)

PTRocks said:

Do you know what driveshafts the 302R & S cars run?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel