The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Top speed?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, this weekend I took the Boss out and had the chance to try out the top speed (no questions please but totally safe ;) )
Using a gps I recorded 155mph (250km/h) on 5th and then to my surprise a slow increase to 163mph (262km/h) on 6th.
As I ran out of track I couldn´t push it longer but also felt that the rate of acceleration decreased notably from being rapid up to 155. Perhaps the acceleration was stopped by the speed limiter (is there any?)

Any of you guys had the chance to top out your Boss?

I've seen it go by 155 as well. I've been told it's 165, but not from Ford. Did you shift at 155? If so, that certainly explains the very slow acceleration as your transmission ratio drops dramatically from 1:1 in 5th to 0.65:1 in 6th.

Yeah I think 6th is geared for running the back straight at Indy at 250+ MPH. ;D

Yes, I did change at 155mph pretty sharp. Not sure if the rev.limiter kicked in but my co-driver recorded 155 at the gps when I changed.
As the acceleration declined so drastically I almost think it was the speed limiter that stopped the car from continue accelerating as the engine still revs pretty high at 160mph at 6th gear?

Anyway, pretty amazing how stable and confident the car behaves also at those speeds....

#299 said:
Yes, I did change at 155mph pretty sharp. Not sure if the rev.limiter kicked in but my co-driver recorded 155 at the gps when I changed.
As the acceleration declined so drastically I almost think it was the speed limiter that stopped the car from continue accelerating as the engine still revs pretty high at 160mph at 6th gear?

Anyway, pretty amazing how stable and confident the car behaves also at those speeds....
I think once the speed limiter kicks in you stop accelerating altogether. At least that's how it has worked in other cars I've owned. Once you get to 155 or so, the aero becomes the limiting factor in acceleration. You're essentially shoving a brick through the air at that point with the big front on a Mustang ;D Thankfully they designed in considerable downforce so it does feel extremely stable at high speeds.

TMO Supporting Vendors