The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Top Tier Gas at Costco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I thought some of you might be interested in the following note I sent to Costco after reading a recent article in their monthly magazine along with their reply.

I've used Costco gas in my cars for the last few years but was always a little leery about the quality of their gas and particularly their additives package. It's good to know that they have now met the Top Tier gas standards with their gasoline nationwide.

My note to Costco:

I just finished reading your "Making the Grade" article in the April edition of The Costo Connection and I send my sincere thanks to Jeff Cole and his team for doing the work necessary to bring Top Tier gasoline to Costco's pumps.

I used Costco gas in my last high performance sports car but always was a bit concerned about the exact quality standards it met. That car did fine for the seven years I owned it but now that I've replaced it with another it's good to know that Costco gasoline will be taking care of it as well on the inside as I do on the outside.

Thank you Costco for the outstanding value you bring to the consumer.

Mr. M

Costco's reply:

Mr. M, thank you for your kind remarks. It's taken us some time to obtain Top Tier approval as it requires that we include the additional deposit control additives in all our fuel nationwide. It took a long time to get the necessary government approvals in California. However, we started our additive program in Washington State, so our fuel has contained the higher levels here since mid-2011.

Regards

Tim Hurlocker
Director of Fuel Quality and Compliance
Costco Wholesale

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
That is good info to know. I never drove the Boss to Costco and purchased fuel there because the car cannot carry all the stuff I buy. However, I will now use it in my daily driver.

However, sometimes the lines are way too long to bother saving a few pennies per gallon.

My wife brought this to my attention last week. I think it's time to stop being a Shell/BP snob. Plus, it's a longer drive to the nearest Costco and I always enjoy a long gas run!

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
fbbob96 said:
Any one know their octane rating? Only 91 or higher?

In the San Diego area, they have the typical 87, 89 and 91 octane. That seems to be the standard mix everywhere, especially since 89 octane is an easy to make 50/50 blend of 87 and 91 octane.

four-walling said:
In the San Diego area, they have the typical 87, 89 and 91 octane. That seems to be the standard mix everywhere, especially since 89 octane is an easy to make 50/50 blend of 87 and 91 octane.

In most places Costco offers just two grades - typically 87 and 91. I suppose the exact octane ratings may vary a bit in some areas but 87 and 91 are what I usually see.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
GottaBoss said:
In most places Costco offers just two grades - typically 87 and 91. I suppose the exact octane ratings may vary a bit in some areas but 87 and 91 are what I usually see.

Use this: http://www.gasbuddy.com, or download the app to your mobile device to find the price of gas and available octane ratings in your area.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
if you hunt for ethanol free gas, you don't need to worry about winter blends. here

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

is a list of ethanol free gas stations and the 92/93/94 high test ones are called out. As are 100/110.

they also have a map page here

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

so you can zoom by your locale on the map and find ethanol free stations that also serve high test.

TMO Supporting Vendors