The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Torn Aluminum Driveshaft Boot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man I can't catch a break. Finally buttoning up the last items on the Boss track prep and I see a huge tear in the plastic boot on my FR one piece driveshaft. I can't figure out why it happened but it does seem rather close to the base of the MGW shifter. At any rate I am assuming that it's now crap unless I can replace it. Even if I can, did I ruin it when the grease escaped? I have no way of knowing how long ago it happened as I installed it 2 years ago. I looked online and don't see a separate boot to purchase. This would be an expensive set back. Any ideas of just get a new DS?

Man I can't catch a break. Finally buttoning up the last items on the Boss track prep and I see a huge tear in the plastic boot on my FR one piece driveshaft. I can't figure out why it happened but it does seem rather close to the base of the MGW shifter. At any rate I am assuming that it's now crap unless I can replace it. Even if I can, did I ruin it when the grease escaped? I have no way of knowing how long ago it happened as I installed it 2 years ago. I looked online and don't see a separate boot to purchase. This would be an expensive set back. Any ideas of just get a new DS?

Spicer likely has a boot kit, although I looked and didn’t find it easily, they do make them for their HD stuff that we buy from them.
I would call them.
They slip assembly probably has a blue coating called “glide kote” that they use and most likely it hasn’t peeled off from lack of lube and you’ll be OK if you take it apart, re grease and put a new boot on.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Had this same thing happen to me on my way to the 50th Mustang celebration in Vegas. Mine is a DSS one piece and it was squealing like a pig. Even though I bought the drive shaft from a second party and it was past the warranty date, DSS let me ship it back, albeit on my dime and repaired it for free and even shipped it back at no charge. I agree with M91196 and think calling FP would be your first logical step.

Spicer likely has a boot kit, although I looked and didn’t find it easily, they do make them for their HD stuff that we buy from them.

After a bit of searching on the Spicer website I came across a section that detailed just the FR driveshaft and the Ford partnership. I found the Spicer # for the DS (10002094) and a phone number. Called this morning and got the part # for the boot kit (5004946) Googled the part # and lo and behold Jeg's has it for $16. Done.

Last edited:
After a bit of searching on the Spicer website I came across a section that detailed just the FR driveshaft the Ford partnership. I found the Spicer # for the DS (10002094) and a phone number. Called this morning and got the part # for the boot kit (5004946) Googled the part # and lo and behold Jeg's has it for $16. Done.
Great foot work. I love to track down info like that.....

TMO Supporting Vendors