The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Torque Arm & Aftermarket Driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft which is 3.25" and I was curious if anyone has had the Cortex Torque Arm with this setup and everything worked out with it. I was also thinking of adding a rear driveshaft safety loop just in case for a little extra safety even though the carbon fiber doesn't really explode more so then separates.

Thank you

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Sean:

Will you also use the Cortex Watts Link with their Torque Arm? The Torque Arm has a rear diff cover with 2 eyelets on the bottom for the TA attachment point.

I've been looking at the CorTex Watts Link for my Boss, but I'm not sure if I'll use the TA assy.

Dave
2HP

I have the the Cortex Torque Arm, Watts Link, LCAs and run the same size 1 piece drive shaft you are looking at with no problems, I have aluminum Dyno Tech .Do not think a 4 inch Drive shaft would work. I also have the Blow Fish Shifter Driveshaft loop installed. Also never had to worry about the pinion angle as the Torque Arm sets this right.

Pitt302 said:
I have the the Cortex Torque Arm, Watts Link, LCAs and run the same size 1 piece drive shaft you are looking at with no problems, I have aluminum Dyno Tech .Do not think a 4 inch Drive shaft would work. I also have the Blow Fish Shifter Driveshaft loop installed. Also never had to worry about the pinion angle as the Torque Arm sets this right.
How has all of this helped the cars response.
With the torque arm and watts link i would think the rear end is very solid and planted.
What about ride quality also.

The car handles very well, does not squat as much when you get on it, less nose dive when braking,credit Tourque Arm for this. The Watts Link keeps the rear right where it should be even over large bumps.Road noise has increased a little but thats to be expected, I get a little more rear end noise at 90km to 100km.Not sure what causes this the Drive Shaft/Torque Arm/or LCA,s.I read that our Torsen rear ends tend to do this,but it's not unexceptable by any means.Cortex parts are expensive but you get what you pay for,very nice stuff.

302 Hi Pro said:
Sean:

Will you also use the Cortex Watts Link with their Torque Arm? The Torque Arm has a rear diff cover with 2 eyelets on the bottom for the TA attachment point.

I've been looking at the CorTex Watts Link for my Boss, but I'm not sure if I'll use the TA assy.

Dave
2HP

Yes sir! Once I get the car up and running I would like to put the watts link and the torque arm in as well.

Excellent feedback Pitt, that is what the main consensus seems to be with these parts. Thank you for that.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
302 Hi Pro said:
Sean:

Dave
2HP
I'd like to hear more about this diff cover with 2 eyelets...looking at the website they show a regular aluminum cover with no noticible modifications. I have the Ford Racing cover they picture and planned to get the TA and later add the watts link....what exactly is different?

http://cortexracing.com/product/xtreme-grip-torque-arm-system-2005-2014-mustang-s197/#

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
It is actually a separate bracket now that attaches to the lower diff cover using the lower attachment bolts of the diff cover.

Hope that helps.

302 Hi Pro

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
302 Hi Pro said:
It is actually a separate bracket now that attaches to the lower diff cover using the lower attachment bolts of the diff cover.

Hope that helps.

302 Hi Pro
Yes, thats how it looked to me too.
I guess that was an old part that was being discussed.
Thanks for the update.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel