The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Torque Values

Sesshomurai

I know this keeps coming up. But is there a good site that provides all the torque values for all the fasteners in an easy to find place?

thanks in advance.
 
Does anyone know the torque value for the rear caliper bolts?
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
Well the 24 ft-lbs is for the slide bolts that let the piston portion of the caliper detach from the "pad frame" that mounts to the rear axle assembly.

If you need to tighten the bolts that attach the frame to the rear axle, you want 50 ft-lbs.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=771&viewfile=Brake%20Caliper%20Support%20Bracket.pdf

(In that procedure it says to remove the rear axle to remove the dust shield bolts but you can do this without removing the axle using a ratcheting box-end wrench and have some patience.)
 
ArizonaGT said:
Well the 24 ft-lbs is for the slide bolts that let the piston portion of the caliper detach from the "pad frame" that mounts to the rear axle assembly.

If you need to tighten the bolts that attach the frame to the rear axle, you want 50 ft-lbs.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=771&viewfile=Brake%20Caliper%20Support%20Bracket.pdf

(In that procedure it says to remove the rear axle to remove the dust shield bolts but you can do this without removing the axle using a ratcheting box-end wrench and have some patience.)
Thanks. I'll be replacing my rear rotors and pads for the first time this weekend. I'll remove the dust shield at the same time.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Sorry I see this has been cleared up ;D

No, you are still correct; 76 ft lbs; they call this the "anchor plate" I guess.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=771&viewfile=Brake%20Caliper%20Anchor%20Plate.pdf

TBH I can never get a torque wrench to swing enough in the wheelwells so I usually snug the bolts with a ratchet then put a wrench on the bolts and use the poor man's impact wrench (rubber hammer/mallet) on them to "torque" them.
 
ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:
Sorry I see this has been cleared up ;D

No, you are still correct; 76 ft lbs; they call this the "anchor plate" I guess.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=771&viewfile=Brake%20Caliper%20Anchor%20Plate.pdf

TBH I can never get a torque wrench to swing enough in the wheelwells so I usually snug the bolts with a ratchet then put a wrench on the bolts and use the poor man's impact wrench (rubber hammer/mallet) on them to "torque" them.
Yea it's basically one click at a time either curled up inside the top of the wheel well or laying on the floor depending on which side of the car. Gotta get it up at least halfway to the top of the jack stands to have room. That's why I leave my track pads and rotors on all the time ;D Fortunately the rear rotors last up to 20 track days.
 
5 DOT 0 said:
76 lbs? No wonder I keep stripping them out. :eek: I can get my torque wrench on the front ones but the back ones look to be a challenge. Will I be removing both sets of bolts on the rear when replacing pads and rotors?

I'm hoping the Pagid pads are quiet enough to leave them on the car. Pete has guaranteed it. ;D
There are two caliper bolts on each caliper so I'm not sure about front ones and back ones. You only need to remove the top guide pin bolt to change pads. You rotate the caliper toward the front of the car. You need to remove both caliper bolts to replace the rotors.
 

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
76 lbs? No wonder I keep stripping them out. :eek: I can get my torque wrench on the front ones but the back ones look to be a challenge. Will I be removing both sets of bolts on the rear when replacing pads and rotors?

I'm hoping the Pagid pads are quiet enough to leave them on the car. Pete has guaranteed it. ;D
There are two caliper bolts on each caliper so I'm not sure about front ones and back ones. You only need to remove the top guide pin bolt to change pads. You rotate the caliper toward the front of the car. You need to remove both caliper bolts to replace the rotors.

That's right. This howto is a great reference on how to swap the front pads without removing the caliper.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-how-to/quick-front-brake-pad-swap/
 
5 DOT 0 said:
ArizonaGT said:
No, you are still correct; 76 ft lbs; they call this the "anchor plate" I guess.
I read through this again and want to make sure I have the Brembo front wheel caliper torque specs correct. 76 ft lbs correct?
No - Front caliper bolts 85 ft/lbs. Rear caliper bolts 76 ft/lbs.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top