The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

torsen additive fluid??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Boss experts;
Can anyone provide some clarity regarding the requirement for xl-3 (or other) additive for the Torsen diff?
I am getting mixed messages as to what is actually required,
Many thanks in advance,
Lee.

Ford says use gear oil that has a friction modifier in it or an additive and Torsen says do what Ford says. But Torsen does not suggest an additive when selling this limited slip in the aftermarket.

So not needed. I have read Ford likes the FM to reduce noise only. And Motul spec below agrees their friction modifier helps with noise.

I use the Motul that has friction modifier built in. Motul Gear Competition 75w-140. Built for track conditions.

https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/108/original/Gear%20Competition%2075W140_GB.pdf?1290086772

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Yes, Torsen.com does not provide lubricant specifications for their products installed in vehicle manufacturers products. Their website states to follow the vehicle manufacturers lubricant recommendations.

So, I looked in the Boss 302 owners manual supplement. And on page 32 it states to use 5oz of the XL-3 friction modifer. That is 1 ounce per quart of rear diff fluid.

Ford may release updates to change lubrication specifications, but I have not found a change for this spec.

If you use non OEM lubricants, it's wise to use only those lubricants that meet Ford's specifications. Just my thoughts.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

FWIW I've talked to Ford and Torsen about this and it's not needed. As already stated its there to reduce noise. No harm in using it but it's not necessary. We've discussed this a few times over the years. ;)

Hey guys, thanks for the info.
I've been using Ford synthetic.
The Motul stuff looks interesting.
Apologies for posting on an existing case.
- Next time I'll look!!

..I seem to remember there was big excitement about usding the redline stuff because it was very thin, in terms of viscosity.
Do you track your car with RL?
It just seemed so darn thin I was afraid to use it for track.

- Diff cooler:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109801706535748548902/30202?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJ3d9s6Yy6ftYw&feat=directlink

Are you talking about Redline Lightweight shockproof? If yes, Redline doesn't recommend it if you're using a diff cooler. Looks like you are.

From Descrisption of Redline website :
"Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging"

Swiss Boss said:
Are you talking about Redline Lightweight shockproof? If yes, Redline doesn't recommend it if you're using a diff cooler. Looks like you are.

From Descrisption of Redline website :
"Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging"

..thanks buddy!!
I love this forum!!!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors