The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Torsen T2 or T2R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am confused regarding which differential is used on the Boss 302. If you upgrade the Boss 302's differential from the factory, or buy an LS, do you get the Torsen T2 or T2R?

I am trying to decide which oil to use when I do a fluid change. Any recommendations?

Thanks ArizonaGT, that is what I was thinking. I just came across some emails to Torsen posted by a Mustang owner doing a custom build and asking about the differential used on the Boss. Torsen never said the differential was a T2R, and instead said it was a T2 that was beefed up to meet the requirements of owners who enjoy tracking (probably FoMoCo requirements since it was marketed as a track car I guess).

Regardless, I was wondering which oil to use. I am going to be flushing my trans oil and replacing it with BG SS II. Anyone have any suggestions for a better diff oil or should I stick to Motorcraft?

zzyzx

Steve
Redline Shockproof Lightweight

Also, most people here who track their cars use Redline MTL in the tranny. Personally, I'll be switching to Shockproof for the tranny as well.

Does changing the fluid have a quieting effect? Do you have to add any friction modifier? I brought my car to the dealer because the rearend is so whiny. They said they added friction modifier. It seemed to change the pitch of the whine a bit but it still whines. It's no fun to listen to on a road trip.

Haven't heard a whine in the 16k kms I have driven. To add friction modifier or not to add is the question. Some people do, and some people say the Torsen doesn't need it.

sadil said:
Haven't heard a whine in the 16k kms I have driven. To add friction modifier or not to add is the question. Some people do, and some people say the Torsen doesn't need it.

The friction modifier is for clutch posi's to stop the clutches from chattering when you turn corners. I don't know that it would benefit a torsen at all.

The friction modifier is not needed with the Torsen. Adding it won't hurt and could make it a bit quieter. I run Redline Lightweight ShockProof with no friction modifier in my diff.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=7

NFSBOSS said:
The friction modifier is not needed with the Torsen. Adding it won't hurt and could make it a bit quieter. I run Redline Lightweight ShockProof with no friction modifier in my diff.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=7

How many quarts does it require?

TMO Supporting Vendors