The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Torsen vs Standard differential

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello TMO members. My brother and I are sharing costs for a Boss 302, yet to be purchased. After driving a 2012 for a week I found the Recaro’s to be a problem for my shoulders, and the wider standard seats seem much more appealing now as a result. My question is, would we notice a difference between a Torsen vs Standard differential (std seats = std differential, both 3.73s) with relatively light track use (OTD’s)? Or should we plan for having to upgrade at some point?

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I agree with the above. If it was my car and I didn't like the seats, I would still try to find one for the Torsen and then replace the seats as that's easier to do vs replacing the differential.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Armchair Opinions = 2 cents
Actual Experience = Priceless

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. We will definitely use your comments when finding the "one"

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
You can sell Recaros for good bucks, and real racing seats can be bought for less than the Recaros will bring leaving cash in pocket. Plus once you get your car making good grip the Recaros are not good enough, racing seats and 6 point harness is the way to go. Racing seats are much lighter than Recaros as well. One caveat, some racing seats are even tighter than Recaros, you'll definitely want to test sit in them before you buy. I went that route with my Recaros and don't regret it at all.

Torsen is definitely the way to go if you're going to do a lot of track work.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would save the Recaro seats for resale if you get a Boss, as there is a distinct group of buyers out there that want all the original equipment even with a tracked car. As JDee noted you can get a race seat pretty reasonably, as often folks purchase them and then decide they won't be racing ( or as he mentioned they find them too tight/loose and need to get another size ).

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Just send me the Recaro's, problem solved. ;)
I would save the Recaro seats for resale if you get a Boss, as there is a distinct group of buyers out there that want all the original equipment even with a tracked car. As JDee noted you can get a race seat pretty reasonably, as often folks purchase them and then decide they won't be racing ( or as he mentioned they find them too tight/loose and need to get another size ).

Makes sense. If it's just a bolt-on unit and seats are relatively inexpensive I wonder about just buying a race seat for the driver's side only, we'll keep the Recaro for reselling the car. Sorry PatientZero, I'll get ya next time.

If you remove the Recaros and decide to run a 5 point, most HPDE groups will require you to use a Hans device since the inertia reel is no longer in play. The Torsen is definitely the way to go on the diff.

Has any noticed a Torsen feeling much more nervous then a clutch type? Ive had 3 11-14' coyote mustangs, my boss felt much more nervous corner exit where as my non boss cars felt graceful if a slide was enduced. Just curious, may not be related.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Well, there's not a lot of unanimous things in the world today, but here's my tally to your extremely helpful responses:

Torsen - 7
Standard - 0

Almost looks like the score to one of my son's football games (7th grade).

This could save my brother and I a lot of headache, as we are seriously considering a '13 (standrad seats) that likely does not have a Torsen - dealer is contacting the one and only original owner to find out if it was modified. I asked him to do so as it actually drives better than a '12 that I had for a week with definite Torsen. Could be something else that is hooking it up to the road in a better way though (same tires etc, so we'll see if it's something else). The '13 we're looking at was tracked so I'm betting there's something modified, even my wife could tell the difference but she smiled big with both vehicles.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
This could save my brother and I a lot of headache, as we are seriously considering a '13 (standrad seats) that likely does not have a Torsen - dealer is contacting the one and only original owner to find out if it was modified. I asked him to do so as it actually drives better than a '12 that I had for a week with definite Torsen. Could be something else that is hooking it up to the road in a better way though (same tires etc, so we'll see if it's something else). The '13 we're looking at was tracked so I'm betting there's something modified, even my wife could tell the difference but she smiled big with both vehicles.

I'm not a Boss expert, but if the LS diff is a traction lok (standard Ford LS diff) it can work very well and perform like a mechanically geared diff, as long as the clutch pack is in good condition. The beauty of the geared diff is the clutches don't wear, and you get consistent performance as time goes by. This may explain why you felt the LS diff was doing the job for you.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
The Torsen T2 Diff and the Recaro seats were standard on the LS package of which about 750 units were built.

Of the 3,250 or so Boss there were only 2 options offered for the US market IIRC.

1. Recaro seats & T2 Diff. $1,995.
2. Floor Mats & Car Cover. $. 475.

I could be wrong though.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good catch 302Bob and I am not positive, but many colors were slowed or stopped in 2012 due to the worst Earthquake/Tsunami in Japanese recent history. I know of other vehicles ( numerous manufacturers ) who were also unable to continue a paint color due to the pigments/tints/etc. that were made in that area of Honshu. Most remember the tragedy to the Japanese people and the scary situation with Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant added, but the many other industries affected were not often mentioned. I may be wrong in this case , but I know certain colors stopped throughout the automotive industry and most were tied to a major manufacturer in that area of Japan.

Really cool color too and we have a local ( Nebraska ) TMO member who owns one of these beauties ( Suprmn )!

TMO Supporting Vendors