The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tough Choices: Track Key or Steeda CAI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange said:
If I read this it might be possible, if the trackey tune is in a different bank which does not get accessed by aftermarket tuners:
I have the hope that someone has more insight on this. ::)

TracKey is saved as part of the stock tune in the XCal (quote fromShaun AED). Ford Racing has locked this tune and so far, no one has been able to break the code. Therefore, when the car is returned to stock AND this is essential : the only CAI that will allow you to alternated between the stock tune with the added TracKey tune from Ford, that is activated only by use of the Red Key is the Airaid CAI that comes with the "venturi insert" or sleeve. # 453-174. When insert is installed then it mimics the air flow of the stock intake box.

It is my understanding that if you try to use the Red Key with any other CAI, then it will work, but throw codes and how well it will work, I would prefer to not find out.

Boss949 said:
TracKey is saved as part of the stock tune in the XCal (quote fromShaun AED). Ford Racing has locked this tune and so far, no one has been able to break the code. Therefore, when the car is returned to stock AND this is essential : the only CAI that will allow you to alternated between the stock tune with the added TracKey tune from Ford, that is activated only by use of the Red Key is the Airaid CAI that comes with the "venturi insert" or sleeve. # 453-174. When insert is installed then it mimics the air flow of the stock intake box.

It is my understanding that if you try to use the Red Key with any other CAI, then it will work, but throw codes and how well it will work, I would prefer to not find out.

I see what you mean in combination with a CAI, but my question is more if this is possible: Silver key = aftermarket tune, red key = trackey tune, and that without switching forth and back via SCT or another device, regardless if you have a CAI or not. Is there a possibility or "easy" solution?

I want to go with the jlt intake and bama tuner. I've never had the track key but from what I've heard it doesn't do much for a person that drives it daily. You don't really need engine braking in traffic. But you can always buy a msd two step if You want that. But for me def the tune with a CAI

Orange said:
I see what you mean in combination with a CAI, but my question is more if this is possible: Silver key = aftermarket tune, red key = trackey tune, and that without switching forth and back via SCT or another device, regardless if you have a CAI or not. Is there a possibility or "easy" solution?

I guess the simple answer is no. You can't just drive the custom tune/Silver Key to get some milk. Get back in the car with your groceries and use Red Key to simulate a road course experience on the way home. LOL.

When you come out of the grocery store: 1. Place groceries in vehicle. 2. open hood and replace the sleeve in the CAI. 3. enter vehicle, and take your SCT and return vehicle to "stock" tune. 4. Insert Red Key and drive home.

For me? No way. I've got the TracKey and I really like it. However, I'm in the process of getting the Airaid/AED Tune/ Jegs Cat Delete Pipes. I will probably NOT go back and forth to the TracKey, unless I will use it on the track.

This summer I'm planning on doing some drag racing.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
lol I feel like I am taking crazy pills. I have the trackey programming I have AED tunes and others. And have said multiple times that once you tune the car the trackey programming isnt there anymore and is stored on the SCT programmer. And I have said that the AED tunes blows all the others out of the water.

But I guess you can continue to speculate and listen to hear say and theory....

Boss949 said:
I guess the simple answer is no. You can't just drive the custom tune/Silver Key to get some milk. Get back in the car with your groceries and use Red Key to simulate a road course experience on the way home. LOL.

When you come out of the grocery store: 1. Place groceries in vehicle. 2. open hood and replace the sleeve in the CAI. 3. enter vehicle, and take your SCT and return vehicle to "stock" tune. 4. Insert Red Key and drive home.

For me? No way. I've got the TracKey and I really like it. However, I'm in the process of getting the Airaid/AED Tune/ Jegs Cat Delete Pipes. I will probably NOT go back and forth to the TracKey, unless I will use it on the track.

This summer I'm planning on doing some drag racing.

Darn, this is exactly what I am looking for. ::)

Justin said:
lol I feel like I am taking crazy pills. I have the trackey programming I have AED tunes and others. And have said multiple times that once you tune the car the trackey programming isnt there anymore and is stored on the SCT programmer. And I have said that the AED tunes blows all the others out of the water.

But I guess you can continue to speculate and listen to hear say and theory....

Looks like I have missed your multiple times. ;) Perhaps with another tuning device or when a dealer loads the tune with his device the trackey stays? Like teaching SCT or another device not to touch the admin bank at all or so while saving the original file. I am just wildly speculating and hoping. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors