The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tough Choices: Track Key or Steeda CAI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBoss,

I assume your question about BTA was for me?

I was scheduled for this week! Had to cancel and reschedule. My grand daughter's softball team is the state champion of Florida. Just found out that they have been invited to the National Tournament which is in Saint George, Utah in 2 weeks.

I emailed Miller tonight to see if they have any cancellations for 5/15 or close to that date. My only track experience has been at Road Atlanta for Nissan about 20 years ago and that was impressive.

Good to hear that the Airaid sleeve is easy to remove. Did you notice much difference with the Airaid?

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Tough Choices: Track Key or Steeda CAI

Boss949 said:
There is a way to do both!
I've got the TracKey and really enjoy it. However, I don't track my car so the enjoyment is just pleasure driving.

Now Airaid has a CAI Carbon Fiber (Parnelli Jones edition). It's the one that Shaun @AED suggested to me. This unit has an insert that when it is in place you can use the TracKey; remove the insert and use Black key with your custom tune.

Now, knowing myself, once I get the AED Tunes, etc. I'll probably not use the TracKey, unless I make the decision to track the car.

I admire the guys that know how to track the Boss and I might do it in the future, especially if I can work out my schedule to go to the Boss Track Attack.

ps. who says that the warranty is automatically voided if you add CAI? I've talked to my service manager and he said to just make sure the car is running the factory tune when I bring it in for service.

you need to check out Justin's youtube of his AED Lopey tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7wtcoQSzLE

ps. if you go with the Lopey tune you have to remove the Cats.

If you return it to stock when you come in they won't realize it. Its when there's extensive service that the Ford rep comes into dealer and makes them go deeper into the computer. Then that's when they see its been tuned and void warranty, but it's usually some serious service issue.

Re: Re: Tough Choices: Track Key or Steeda CAI

unrealford said:
If you return it to stock when you come in they won't realize it. Its when there's extensive service that the Ford rep comes into dealer and makes them go deeper into the computer. Then that's when they see its been tuned and void warranty, but it's usually some serious service issue.
you can say that again.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Boss949 said:
There is a way to do both!
I've got the TracKey and really enjoy it. However, I don't track my car so the enjoyment is just pleasure driving.

Now Airaid has a CAI Carbon Fiber (Parnelli Jones edition). It's the one that Shaun @AED suggested to me. This unit has an insert that when it is in place you can use the TracKey; remove the insert and use Black key with your custom tune.

Now, knowing myself, once I get the AED Tunes, etc. I'll probably not use the TracKey, unless I make the decision to track the car.

I admire the guys that know how to track the Boss and I might do it in the future, especially if I can work out my schedule to go to the Boss Track Attack.

ps. who says that the warranty is automatically voided if you add CAI? I've talked to my service manager and he said to just make sure the car is running the factory tune when I bring it in for service.

you need to check out Justin's youtube of his AED Lopey tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7wtcoQSzLE

ps. if you go with the Lopey tune you have to remove the Cats.
how are you keeping the trackey tune on the car? when I load the tunes it takes both the factory and the trackey tune off the car and stores them on the handheld tuner. it will still say trackey active etc when I start the car with the red key but that has to do with the PATS system not the tune itself. So with both keys I am running the aftermarket tune.

Justin said:
how are you keeping the trackey tune on the car? when I load the tunes it takes both the factory and the trackey tune off the car and stores them on the handheld tuner. it will still say trackey active etc when I start the car with the red key but that has to do with the PATS system not the tune itself. So with both keys I am running the aftermarket tune.

First of all, if you have a Steeda CAI, then you cannot run the TracKey. Only the Airaid CAI has a "sleeve" that can be reinserted; then the car has to have the factory tune loaded, then the tracKey would be activated.

Now this is the information that I received from Shaun. I'll have the parts installed sometime in the next 4-6 weeks.

Justin

Boss949 said:
First of all, if you have a Steeda CAI, then you cannot run the TracKey. Only the Airaid CAI has a "sleeve" that can be reinserted; then the car has to have the factory tune loaded, then the tracKey would be activated.

Now this is the information that I received from Shaun. I'll have the parts installed sometime in the next 4-6 weeks.
oh I am aware that the trackey tune isnt safe to operate with the trackey program. I will email shaun and get the skinny on this cause I have asked this directly to him in the past.

FWIW. What I was told is that a custom tune sits in a different bank than trackey. The trackey tune sits in an "admin" bank which aftermarket tuners cannot access. Thus, it is always there and activated by the redkey. The "non admin" tune compartment or bank is what the silver key uses and you can only use it with aftermarket tunes.

Well, this is only info I gathered from here and there.... :-\

Justin

DGRacing said:
FWIW. What I was told is that a custom tune sits in a different bank than trackey. The trackey tune sits in an "admin" bank which aftermarket tuners cannot access. Thus, it is always there and activated by the redkey. The "non admin" tune compartment or bank is what the silver key uses and you can only use it with aftermarket tunes.

I am telling you what I have seen first hand with both. I have the trackey programming I have the aed tunes and others and once you load a tune with a sct the trackey isnt there anymore. it still says trackey active and such on start up but thats it. no lopey idle no 2 step nothing....so go with hear say but I will go with what I have seen with my own two eyes first hand

Justin

roadhouse said:
You won't be disappointed
I am not AED is the way to go. brings a smile to my face everyday.

word of advice if you get the lopey idle to a kam clear to the letter so it will idle perfectly. once I did it the right way the lopey idle is spot on perfect.

Justin said:
I am telling you what I have seen first hand with both. I have the trackey programming I have the aed tunes and others and once you load a tune with a sct the trackey isnt there anymore. it still says trackey active and such on start up but thats it. no lopey idle no 2 step nothing....so go with hear say but I will go with what I have seen with my own two eyes first hand

I can confirm this by my own experience. :(

But there might be a difference depending on how the dealer is activating/loading your trackey, tune active or stock config while the trackey gets installed, just loud thinking. My trackey was actived with the stock config and not with the aftermarket tune, so that might the one reason why it is behaving the way Justin described it.

Any other experiences in this area?

1. You have to return car to stock tune on SCT
2. You have to have an AIRAID CAI with the Venturi sleeve that must be reinstalled.
3. Now you can use Red Key. The TracKey tune is technically a stock tune

Not all AIRAID CAI have the Venturi sleeve. I think AIRAID is the only brand that offers it. This is imperative to be able to run custom tunes and the TracKey Tune.

Justin

Boss949 said:
2. You have to have an AIRAID CAI with the Venturi sleeve that must be reinstalled.

Not all AIRAID CAI have the Venturi sleeve. I think AIRAID is the only brand that offers it. This is imperative to be able to run custom tunes and the TracKey Tune.
thats what I am saying you made it much clearer.
I can load the trackey program back on with the handheld. of coarse after I reinstall the factory CAI box

Boss949 said:

Sry for the perhaps silly question, but is there a way to run the trackey with an aftermarket tune with the stock air intake, I mean: Silver key = aftermarket tune, red key = trackey tune, and that without switching forth and back via SCT?

Justin

Orange said:
Sry for the perhaps silly question, but is there a way to run the trackey with an aftermarket tune with the stock air intake, I mean: Silver key = aftermarket tune, red key = trackey tune, and that without switching forth and back via SCT?
Not that I know of. It would be nice if you could.

Justin said:
Not that I know of. It would be nice if you could.

If I read this it might be possible, if the trackey tune is in a different bank which does not get accessed by aftermarket tuners:
DGRacing said:

I have the hope that someone has more insight on this. ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel