The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tow Hooks Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys recommend as far as tow hooks go?

I recognize that it will be a good thing to have if I ever need a trackside tow. But i'm not at all wild about how expensive they are.

Any such thing as a temporary tow hook for our cars, like a strap with a subtle or detachable mount?

Would it be expensive to have someone weld on the ford racing hooks?

Will the cooltech hook snap if not pulled straight ahead?

Yuck, I hate spending money on stuff that isn't fast or loud :)

-Bob

I have the blowfish racing one. Very well made and designed. And Blowfish is a site supporter.
Installed it on my own but needed a friends help dealing with removing the front bodywork. Easy to do though on my GT. See my sig pic.
Nuts that Ford does not include one like most.

How many are running the 302s front and rear tubular bumpers with the hook mounts on them? That looks like the way to go. The tubular front bumper also makes it possible to enclose the radiator/oil cooler for better temp management.

BigTaco said:
How many are running the 302s front and rear tubular bumpers with the hook mounts on them? That looks like the way to go. The tubular front bumper also makes it possible to enclose the radiator/oil cooler for better temp management.

I have this one. It works well. Just gotta break/cut some small tack welds when removing the stock beam.

Swiss Boss said:
The Blowfish is the only one that doesn't require to cut or drill your bodywork and probably the easiest to mount.

It's the one I have and I've use it twice already with no problems.

You do need to trim a few honeycombs off the lower grill for 2013's, but no biggie!

I don't doubt that the blowfish one is well made, but I'd hate to spend $200 for a hook that adds 10 lbs to the car.

All complaining aside, thanks for the suggestions fellas. If anyone has a cheaper option, i'm all ears!

Well, then your options are either replacing the crush bar with the 302s/cortex bars with the integrated tow hooks ($$$ but weight decrease) or cut your bumper and figure out how to mount a tow strap, which I haven't seen been done on a mustang yet.

Any thoughts on the CoolTech tow hook? Also seems like a good design with the bolt on plate and removable hook, although you do cut a hole in your bumper. Also like that the hook comes in blue... 8)

Fiddler49 said:
Any thoughts on the CoolTech tow hook? Also seems like a good design with the bolt on plate and removable hook, although you do cut a hole in your bumper. Also like that the hook comes in blue... 8)

The Cooltech looks good. It bolts directly into an existing bolt hole. You just still have to cut the bumper. Still much easier than the Ford tubular bar with tow hook. For that you have to remove the crush bumper. That bumper is bolted and welded it on, so its a real pain to take off. With the Cooltech you just need to remove one bolt and cut the hole in the appropriate spot.

Fiddler49 said:
I have the Cooltech hooks and if I was doing this again I'd buy the Blowfish hooks for ease of installation and not cutting a hole in the front bumper.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Bought and installed the Blowfish front tow hook by myself. Easy install, it's solid and when not on the track, the hook part can easily be removed. I have the lower grill also made to accommodate this tow hook which finishes this all up in a neat package on my '12.

I just installed the Ford racing tubular tow hook, removing the bumper was time consuming but not hard, I had the blowfish racing one. FR one is lighter and not blocking air flow behind it. Cutting the bumper cover was easy. I just used the template from ford and adjusted it for the 12 bumper. I like the fact it is up and out of the way and not hanging under.

TymeSlayer said:
Bought and installed the Blowfish front tow hook by myself. Easy install, it's solid and when not on the track, the hook part can easily be removed. I have the lower grill also made to accommodate this tow hook which finishes this all up in a neat package on my '12.
I realize its a "tow" hook but is there any difference between pulling the car on a track vs pulling it up an incline such as winching it into a trailer?.

Tulsa, OK
Fastfordnut said:
I realize its a "tow" hook but is there any difference between pulling the car on a track vs pulling it up an incline such as winching it into a trailer?.

All of these options will handle being towed while on (or off) track and winching onto trailer.

I have the Ford Racing tow hooks welded to the bumper beams. Will be replacing the front with the tubular bar soon...

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Fastfordnut said:

Why yes, I do use it with my Wench in tow... Or, never mind... you said winch ;D

In that case, Roadhouse is correct.

drano38

Wayne
I had the Ford Racing ones welded to the stock bumpers before the other options became available.
Wish the bolt-on versions would have been out, but they weren't.
The bolt on options are very reasonably priced. I paid a Ford dealer 8 hours labor to put mine on. :(

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel