The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tow hooks/ straps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
What are you guys using, since I'm about to paint some bumper covers. Straps look like a better option to me at the moment.
I use straps. I have 2 on the front because it's hard to find a solid enough spot in the center and I found out that if you pull by one strap mounted to a solid thing like the frame end (that makes it not a straight pull) you are likely going to do some significant damage to your bumper. I use both straps together with a Y strap to winch the car up on the trailer, it is so much better than trying to drive it on. With a racing clutch there is no clutch slipping and the car just comes up way too fast. Electric winch makes it so much easier. I only have 1 strap on the back.stangatMosport.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I just have the traditional Ford Racing metal weld on rings.
No complaints.

189980319_160495962712529_8789751626743834111_n.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Phoenix
I use straps. I have 2 on the front because it's hard to find a solid enough spot in the center and I found out that if you pull by one strap mounted to a solid thing like the frame end (that makes it not a straight pull) you are likely going to do some significant damage to your bumper. I use both straps together with a Y strap to winch the car up on the trailer, it is so much better than trying to drive it on. With a racing clutch there is no clutch slipping and the car just comes up way too fast. Electric winch makes it so much easier. I only have 1 strap on the back.View attachment 74500
What bolt/fastener did you use to secure to frame, I like this Idea a lot?!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
What bolt/fastener did you use to secure to frame, I like this Idea a lot?!

On my '16, right behind where the straps are mounted is a frame rail. There was a bolt already there. So I just cut out enough of the grille to get the steel mount in there and bolted it right in. Not sure how this would work for the later cars though since the nose was changed I think after '17 wasn't it?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Phoenix
On my '16, right behind where the straps are mounted is a frame rail. There was a bolt already there. So I just cut out enough of the grille to get the steel mount in there and bolted it right in. Not sure how this would work for the later cars though since the nose was changed I think after '17 wasn't it?
Awesome thanks! The 350 should mimic the 2016

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
So @blacksheep-1 , did you resolve and post elsewhere with seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was, OR, can you? I have soft straps and am still pending installation. If the ice melts, I might be able to get the car up the hill and into the garage for work.

So @blacksheep-1 , did you resolve and post elsewhere with seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was, OR, can you? I have soft straps and am still pending installation. If the ice melts, I might be able to get the car up the hill and into the garage for work.
I welded a stud onto the bumper bar, crude but effective

20220531_162251.jpg

Did you scrap your fog lamps or are they hidden behind that lath? Did you use any special lath on the backside of the plastic grill or just the medium gapped stuff from HD?
The lamps are in a box somewhere. I just used some hardware store screen, if you go too small, you wil block a large percentage of air glow.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
The lamps are in a box somewhere. I just used some hardware store screen, if you go too small, you wil block a large percentage of air glow.

Another question on this topic. I finally am getting around to addressing the air intakes for the brakes, adding my lower chin on and just ordered a new grill. Had to remove the entire front bumper to get access to add my hood latches so am doing a slew of delayed installs. My Q for you, what did you do with all the wiring for the foglamps? Mine lights look to be stock, but Im not sure. Did you have an electrical connecter that just unplugged or did you have to snip wiring, I am pretty sure the previous owner removed any factory wire connectors and just put inline butt connectors on the foglamps. I am thinking the previous owner also hardwired the new headlights as well vs trying to keep a factory like wiring connection.

Another question on this topic. I finally am getting around to addressing the air intakes for the brakes, adding my lower chin on and just ordered a new grill. Had to remove the entire front bumper to get access to add my hood latches so am doing a slew of delayed installs. My Q for you, what did you do with all the wiring for the foglamps? Mine lights look to be stock, but Im not sure. Did you have an electrical connecter that just unplugged or did you have to snip wiring, I am pretty sure the previous owner removed any factory wire connectors and just put inline butt connectors on the foglamps. I am thinking the previous owner also hardwired the new headlights as well vs trying to keep a factory like wiring connection.
I just unplugged the connectors, WD40'd the contacts and zip tied a small plastic bag over them and left them more or less, in place.

I wonder if he replaced the stockers with aftermarket, then changed them back when se sold it?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I just unplugged the connectors, WD40'd the contacts and zip tied a small plastic bag over them and left them more or less, in place.

I wonder if he replaced the stockers with aftermarket, then changed them back when se sold it?

Thanks. There is no telling, he purchased it crashed and then hacked some fixes in. I knew it when I purchased, figured I'd fix stuff as I touched it. But if you have connectors...... I don't so looks like I will just find a logical location to cut the wiring tape/secure.

I am scratching my head on the headlights as well. Looks like one of the cheap aftermarket headlight sets that he hard wired into the car. No plug n play stock connector, just butt splices and poorly executed crimp connecters. The old chin which was cracked to hell and had some drywall screws holding it to the bottom of the bumper, so thats already gone. Will install a new chin he gave me with the car; it will likely explode on the first cone, but Im tired of moving it around the garage to get it out of my way.

Thanks. There is no telling, he purchased it crashed and then hacked some fixes in. I knew it when I purchased, figured I'd fix stuff as I touched it. But if you have connectors...... I don't so looks like I will just find a logical location to cut the wiring tape/secure.

I am scratching my head on the headlights as well. Looks like one of the cheap aftermarket headlight sets that he hard wired into the car. No plug n play stock connector, just butt splices and poorly executed crimp connecters. The old chin which was cracked to hell and had some drywall screws holding it to the bottom of the bumper, so thats already gone. Will install a new chin he gave me with the car; it will likely explode on the first cone, but Im tired of moving it around the garage to get it out of my
I have had acceptionally good luck with these guys on my fox body's, SN95s and they are finally carrying parts for later cars now. I bought an entire wiring harness from them once.

TMO Supporting Vendors