The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tow Hooks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5 DOT 0 said:
I'm swapping emails with Steve, the guy making these, right now. Here's the latest:

"I am testing a new design to add the pickup points for the Laguna Seca splitter strut attachment points. My bracket currently occupies the same space as the splitter bracket, although, with spacers, it has worked. The new design will be mass produced and most likely sold exclusively through distributors. "

does this mean the current design will not fit the Laguna Seca. The ebay site site states it will fit all trims. dose anyone have the phone number for Blowfish since they have not responed to e-mails. I looks like a good product with little effort to install. I am currently using a coated chain attached to the splitter bracket to get the car in and out of the trailer. It works but looks like crap.

jim woodruff said:
5 DOT 0 said:
I'm swapping emails with Steve, the guy making these, right now. Here's the latest:

"I am testing a new design to add the pickup points for the Laguna Seca splitter strut attachment points. My bracket currently occupies the same space as the splitter bracket, although, with spacers, it has worked. The new design will be mass produced and most likely sold exclusively through distributors. "

does this mean the current design will not fit the Laguna Seca. The ebay site site states it will fit all trims. dose anyone have the phone number for Blowfish since they have not responed to e-mails. I looks like a good product with little effort to install. I am currently using a coated chain attached to the splitter bracket to get the car in and out of the trailer. It works but looks like crap.
You can send Steve an email from his website, the link is in my original post. I'd wait for the new design which should be available in about two months or less.

fduboss302 said:
Will this setup fit a 2013?
The bumpers are the same (not the fascia or grille) so in theory it should work. Not sure how it will protrude through the fascia or grille so some cutting may be in order. Send Steve an email through his website.

Grant, did you have to remove the splitter from the lower fascia? If I put my car on my Race Ramps will that give me plenty of room for the install? Yeah the brake duct kit takes a lot longer than you think. Hopefully you read my install tips before you started.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
5 DOT 0 said:
jim woodruff said:
5 DOT 0 said:

You can send Steve an email from his website, the link is in my original post. I'd wait for the new design which should be available in about two months or less.

fduboss302 said:
Will this setup fit a 2013?
The bumpers are the same (not the fascia or grille) so in theory it should work. Not sure how it will protrude through the fascia or grille so some cutting may be in order. Send Steve an email through his website.

Grant, did you have to remove the splitter from the lower fascia? If I put my car on my Race Ramps will that give me plenty of room for the install? Yeah the brake duct kit takes a lot longer than you think. Hopefully you read my install tips before you started.

Nope...the whole bumper assembly comes off as one piece with the base splitter. I don't think the car even needs to be up on ramps. There are only (4) 7mm screws that need to come off in front of the air dam. If you can reach those, you're okay.

And I think you're right about the '13. Probably okay, but you'd need to cut the lower grille at the very least. I'd probably want someone to do it first if I had a '13...or wait for blowfish to come up with a template for the cut.

I do see how it could be bolted/shimmed behind and under the LS splitter bracket, but I can't be 100% certain without seeing it in person.

I received this message from Steve the guy making the front tow hooks:

"I have been following the discussion while on vacation but can't join from my iPhone to add to the discussion. Would you mind relaying that the LS splitter does pose an issue with the current design but with 3 washers between the two brackets, they are able to coexist. Also, not all the hardware included is required. It was more for continuity between the hardware. Lastly, I just had someone put one on a 2013 GT and it does work, but I don't like how it looks. The loop sits low and rubs on the painted lower fascia. I think a new bracket will be in order for the 2013. He posted a pic of it on corral.net <http://corral.net> ."

Here's a photo of the tow hook mounted on a 2013.

ascia-imageuploadedbytapatalk1340465534-142090-jpg.jpg

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
ok, so that time it worked. dunno?

anywho, hello all! i'm steve. new member, but i have been following this thread for a week now. i am the owner of Blowfish Racing Products. If anyone has questions, I can now answer them myself. Thank you Rick for relaying my comments all week.

I don't mean to spam anyone, so i will keep it simple. I have been working tirelessly on a new design that will better accomodate the LS Splitter crowd and broaden its range to the 2013+. I am eagerly anticipating my prototype for testing in the next week or so. once its tested and approved, I will put in the order for production quantities. I expect to have them ready for release by the end of July. They will be just as strong, but lighter and incorporate the LS splitter bracket functions, so the net weight gain when replacing the LS bracket, is a meager 2.3lbs!

Grant 302

Steve,

Glad you chimed in...I'd like to know when you have the new unit done. I'm more likely to put the LS splitter on my GT.

Are you also taking public part requests? :D I think the guys here would be a great help suggesting parts that we need for the Boss.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the soonest will likely be the end of july. i am pushing my suppliers to tighten their lead times from 5 weeks to more like 3, but i really have no ability to push until i can place the order...which won't happen until my prototype is built and proven. i hate missing out on the selling action for the majority of the racing seaason, but the product will be worth it.

i am definitely willing to look into developing other products for these cars. i have a few irons in the fire now, but need capitol from the tow hook sales to really see them come to fruition. this business is a grass roots effort, so no big bankrolls or a lines of cars to test on. i have 1 Engineer (me), 1 test vehicle (mine), and 1 dream to supply the Mustang enthusiasts with quality, well engineered, american made products at a reasonable (read non FRPP) prices.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i had some time to look at the rear tow hook today. originally, i thought a trailer hitch style would be the ticket, but after looking at it, it looks bad to have the hook hanging down below the diffuser panel. i think it needs to be a cut through style. i don't want it to be obvious or intrusive, but still be accessable. heres what i was thinking....hook protrudes just above the license plate and would fold down over the plate. because it is illegal to obscure the license plate, the hook would be removable with some sort of quick release pin so the tool kit doesn't have to be brought out just to connect the hook. opinions?

also, i would like to share some pictures, but every time i try to, it doesn't post and tells me the uploader is full? what do i need to do to fix this?

pufferfish said:
i had some time to look at the rear tow hook today. originally, i thought a trailer hitch style would be the ticket, but after looking at it, it looks bad to have the hook hanging down below the diffuser panel. i think it needs to be a cut through style. i don't want it to be obvious or intrusive, but still be accessable. heres what i was thinking....hook protrudes just above the license plate and would fold down over the plate. because it is illegal to obscure the license plate, the hook would be removable with some sort of quick release pin so the tool kit doesn't have to be brought out just to connect the hook. opinions?

also, i would like to share some pictures, but every time i try to, it doesn't post and tells me the uploader is full? what do i need to do to fix this?

Can you upload on photobucket and just link it here? Is the 2013 gonna be ready end of July too?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i will try to load photos up there. haven't used it in a while.

does your 2013 boss have the giant strut supported splitter like the 2012 LS? i haven't been able to find any info on the bracket associated. i have a feeling its the same bracket as the 2012, but no confirmation yet. if it is the same, i my new prototype will work on the 2013. i know it will work on 2013's without the splitter. i plan to have 2 positions for the 2013. 1 with a front license plate and one without, so it will tuck up closer to the top of the grill opening.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i was thinking that if the hook was behind the license plate, it would be more involved and costly since a plate holder would have to be sold with it to space the plate out away from the bumper so the hook has room to sit behind?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
OYE! cant keep up with the posts!

the bracket tucks up as close as i am comfortable with on the 2010-2012's. with the variations in the plastic bumpers, some sit lower than others, so the gap is necessary to accomodate the variations.

drano38

Wayne
My weld-on goes thru the top of the diffuser, so painted part not cut. I fold it up and put license plate over it, and hook not visable.
Maybe you could work the same with bolt on.

Grant 302

5 DOT 0 said:
pufferfish said:
1 with a front license plate and one without, so it will tuck up closer to the top of the grill opening.
Will this tuck up closer on the 2012 as well? I'd like to see it as high up in the opening as possible. ;D

It's touching at the back of the opening. Keeping the arm level, I wouldn't go any higher. And I wouldn't angle the arm away from level.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel