The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tow Hooks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone used the Blowfish Racing Products front tow hook? It bolts on which I like. I've contacted them asking for installation instructions and better photos. Here's a link to the hook on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221048140491?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://blowfishracing.com/Products.html

1002079q.jpg

I'm also thinking about these hooks for the rear and make a strap that can connect to them. Scroll down about half way.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/FTBROrder.htm

S-197%20tie%20down.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I have one ordered. Should be here by the end of the week. I'll have it on before I go to LS, if all goes well.

I liked that it doesn't require drilling or cutting the front bumper.

I have a similar type of set up on my car. A friend of mine is a custom fabricator for "Year One" here in Georgia. On the back side of the steel bumper tube, you will find two bolts on either end that you bolt the assembly on too. It fits snug against the back of the tube. You just remove the radiator cover and it slides down between the hood latch and the AC coil. It has gotten a good bit of attention. I wasn't going to cut my bumper cover, and it looks good.

Victor

Grant 302 said:
I have one ordered. Should be here by the end of the week. I'll have it on before I go to LS, if all goes well.

I liked that it doesn't require drilling or cutting the front bumper.

Do you half to remove the front bupper cover or spliter for installation?

daddyfixer said:
I have a similar type of set up on my car. A friend of mine is a custom fabricator for "Year One" here in Georgia. On the back side of the steel bumper tube, you will find two bolts on either end that you bolt the assembly on too. It fits snug against the back of the tube. You just remove the radiator cover and it slides down between the hood latch and the AC coil. It has gotten a good bit of attention. I wasn't going to cut my bumper cover, and it looks good.

Victor
Do you have photos and is your friend going to sell them? My only concern with the one I posted is that the square box section below the hook looks like it might block air flow. Probably not a big deal but I'd like to know if it does hang down.

The material that mine is made of is 1" Chromoly Sched.120 DOM heavy wall tubing for the main cross piece. We only used one hole on either end of the angle pieces.It all bolts up flush to the back of the bumper bar. The center piece is the same Mtrl. but it was bent in a heavy duty bender in a 90 degree shape and gusseted on both sides of the tee joint with 3/8" Chromoly pipe. It drops straight down at the tee joint and curls under the bumper and out near the top of the lower grill. I have installed M. Blacks lower grill and the bar passes thru it at the top of it. A small ( not noticeable )section was removed for it to pass. I used the Ford Racing tow hook, but the sleeve for the bolt that comes with it was to thin a mtrl. to weld to the main piece so we drilled out a 3/8" hvy duty nipple for the bolt. All welds were TIG welded. I don't have any pictures, and Mark hasn't mentioned making them , but i will find out for you. My E-mail is in my profile, if you send me a line I do have a pic. of the car with the exposed hook.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Thanks for posting this. I just sent them an e-mail asking about clearance behind the bumper (oil cooler install) and any conflicts with the LG/WC splitter.

Looks like a solid piece and would definitely be cost effective since no cutting or welding is required.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
JScheier said:
Thanks for posting this. I just sent them an e-mail asking about clearance behind the bumper (oil cooler install) and any conflicts with the LG/WC splitter.

Looks like a solid piece and would definitely be cost effective since no cutting or welding is required.

Interested to hear more about the splitter/bracket clearance.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ArizonaGT said:

I hadn't even thought about it until looking at the MGW photos above. The bracket looks like it would impede the splitter strut installation, no?

5 DOT 0 said:
I'm also thinking about these hooks for the rear and make a strap that can connect to them. Scroll down about half way.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/FTBROrder.htm

S-197%20tie%20down.jpg

I was thinking about that too, but got some bad feedback on the idea from some people here. I meant to talk to my buddy who drives the wrecker at the track about it, and to measure the angles to see if pulling would damage the bumper since they usually have the tow rope mounted high on the wrecker, but I totally forgot.

JScheier said:
ArizonaGT said:

I hadn't even thought about it until looking at the MRT ;) photos above. The bracket looks like it would impede the splitter strut installation, no?

My guess is that it would interfere with the Ford splitter bracket by looking at it.

2012YellowBoss said:
My guess is that it would interfere with the Ford splitter bracket by looking at it.
It looks that way to me. Grant will have his later this week and although I don't think he has the large splitter on his Boss he should be able to make a judgement call on it. Grant you have homework! ;D

I've been communicating with the guy marketing this product but he's out of town and doesn't have access to better photos or instructions to send me until later this week.

I'm swapping emails with Steve, the guy making these, right now. Here's the latest:

"I am testing a new design to add the pickup points for the Laguna Seca splitter strut attachment points. My bracket currently occupies the same space as the splitter bracket, although, with spacers, it has worked. The new design will be mass produced and most likely sold exclusively through distributors. "

Grant 302

Ok...so I don't hafta do any homework now, right? ;D

I was assuming it wouldn't fit with the splitter bracket...which is okay with me as I had no plans to get one.

Grant 302

5 DOT 0 said:
You're off the hook. Will you be at LS Fri or Sat or both?

The following Sunday. I have a week and a half to get everything done to the Boss, or I'm going to have to run the GT :( ...which is ready to go. And I've been waiting to get that tow hook to get started.

Grant 302

The hook came in on Wednesday, but I didn't get around to the install 'til today. Took just under 30 minutes to do everything needed to get the hook on and replace the S grille. Too bad I couldn't say the same for the ducts and fluid swap.

Directions were clear, but I didn't use the hardware exactly as instructed. Not sure if other/previous S197 models don't have tacked-on nut/washers.

Original bumper hardware:
7423871820_d963ea06c3.jpg

Used original lower bolt and new hardware for the rest:
7423872180_e900df0123.jpg

Hook attached to bumper:
7423872668_e574e01c7e.jpg

Front view installed:
7423896246_5732179ca5.jpg

Front closeup:
7423896964_8d7ddf8649.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors