The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tow Hooks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
drano38 said:
My weld-on goes thru the top of the diffuser, so painted part not cut. I fold it up and put license plate over it, and hook not visable.
Maybe you could work the same with bolt on.

^^Agree with this. I'd rather cut the ABS parts behind the plate too.

If it's not, I'd rather it go under the diffuser. Trouble is that there are many different types of diffusers to fit under.

Grant 302 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
pufferfish said:
1 with a front license plate and one without, so it will tuck up closer to the top of the grill opening.
Will this tuck up closer on the 2012 as well? I'd like to see it as high up in the opening as possible. ;D

It's touching at the back of the opening. Keeping the arm level, I wouldn't go any higher. And I wouldn't angle the arm away from level.
Thanks.

I'd also prefer to cut the diffuser at the top where it meets the paint...if possible.

drano38

Wayne
Here's my weld-on rear (Multimatic brand)
Would be nice if a bolt-on option could be in the same location, thru the diffuser.
20120523195647.jpg

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i will take a look at that area. if i go that route, i would definitely want to provide a metal thread of some sort for the license plate hardware. the tapped plastic isn't going to withstand removal and reinstallation of the license plate for very long.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
it has been a very busy month trying to finalize the tow loop design, patent it and work on the rear tow hook kit, while waiting for my prototype front bracket with the integrated LS splitter strut mount points.

so, the good news is that the front bracket fits perfectly and the LS splitter struts bolt up where they should. it tested well on my strain gage, but had some flexing i didn't like, so i made a small change and its solid. i have placed parts on order, so its just time to wait for the finished product to arrive. the new design encorporates a universal folding hook that bolts to the bracket. this allowed me to have multiple connection points to taylor the loop placement for fascias with or without the grills and with or without license plates, which also allows it to work better with the 2013's. i believe it will also fit the 05-09 mustangs, but haven't confirmed that yet. i was rushed on the install, so i didn't get a chance to take any pictures :(

the design of the rear tow hook kit has been a bit more difficult. when i originally took the front bumper cover off, i immediately knew where it was going to go. not so much on the backside. well, i did figure out how to bolt on a bracket, but can't share that until the patent is filed. i looked at lots of locations for the hook loop to protrude, including the one suggested on this thread. ultimately, above the license plate proved to be the easiest install, least bumper cover cutting and simplest to use for daily driven mustangs driven to the track. if you are curious how it will look, i have a screen shot of the model up on the website store.

Me too! Had to use a flat, yellow, nylon tow strap wrapped around my strut tower brace (Yikes!!!) to get my BOSS off the track and back into the pits when the engine let go last week... Luckily it was just across a flat, level parking lot and had a couple of friends keeping the rope from rubbing against anything...

Have been looking at different ways to get a tow hook(s) on the BOSS, and this setup looks GREAT!!! Looking forward to the customer reviews and install pics...

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
yes, mid-september is my anticipated release. there were some setbacks preventing the original august release. i wish i had product to sell right now, but the wait will be worth it. the new design will work for a broader range of mustang trims and years...from 2005-2013.

Steve, is that a mid-September on the new front design, or the rear? I'm looking for the new front hook with the LS-Splitter rod attachment points, is that available yet?

Jason

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
yes, its the front that will be available in september. you will have the option of selecting the front bracket with or without the LS strut attachment points. the rear won't realistically be available until the end of this year.

Im coming to the US for a holiday for the last two weeks of september and the 1st week of October i would love to put one of these in my suitcase and take it home to UK, any idea of costs and weight?

ian

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
current price is $279.99 (LS version) with free shipping in the continental US. bracket and hardware weigh about 8lbs or 3.6kg for those across the pond. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors