The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tow Loop Protector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I have gotten just 1 complaint about my Blowfish Racing Tow Hook Kits...The loop gets scratched up when using a metal hook attached to the loop. A strap between the loop and the hook is the easy answer. Well, it would be except there is nothing out on the market today that is small enough to keep on the loop without dragging on the ground. So, I contracted Macs Tiedowns to manufacture these little guys for me:
20130514170033.jpg

I think this is what every trailered car that gets winched up should have. These straps work with any tow hook loop with an open loop design. The Ford Racing is, unfortunately, a closed loop, but the screw in folding aluminum loops found all over ebay and in the Cooltech kits will work.

In stock and ready to ship out today!
http://stores.blowfishracing.com/-strse-86/Tow-Loop-Protector-Strap/Detail.bok

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
If you increase the diameter of one of the loops by 2 - 3 inches, the strap could be tied to a closed tow hook loop as well using a girth hitch.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
that's a good thought. if there was sufficient interest, I could have some made up that way. chances are though, that those with the ford racing loops are race cars only and feel the scratches and dings are "track patina" :D

pufferfish said:
that's a good thought. if there was sufficient interest, I could have some made up that way. chances are though, that those with the ford racing loops are race cars only and feel the scratches and dings are "track patina" :D

I was just about to ask who would run tow hooks and then care that they get scratched, sounds like some people are posing as racers.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Brandon302 said:
I was just about to ask who would run tow hooks and then care that they get scratched, sounds like some people are posing as racers.

Guess I am "posing as a racer"? I run time trials and HPDE, but like my car to look good.

I don't know of many track day people who buy a new car and DON'T care how it looks after running it. Its really what my whole business is about. Daily drive it, wash it, wax it...then thrash it on the track. Rinse and repeat.

pufferfish said:
Guess I am "posing as a racer"? I run time trials and HPDE, but like my car to look good.

I don't know of many track day people who buy a new car and DON'T care how it looks after running it. Its really what my whole business is about. Daily drive it, wash it, wax it...then thrash it on the track. Rinse and repeat.

I know you thrash your car, I have seen/ridden in it. I just couldn't see track rats worrying about the tow hook. I envisioned someone worrying about the way the hook looked on the street, in any case I didn't mean it to be disrespectful. Can it be power coated/anodized better so you don't have to use the strap?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Hey Brandon. didn't realize it was you! I have looked at triple powdercoating after the fact, but doing so would require a redesign because the pin holes would close up. I also thought about plastic dipping the lower half. either solution would do noting to help the scores of people out there with my tow hook kits already...well, those that care about the appearance anyhow.

pufferfish said:
Hey Brandon. didn't realize it was you! I have looked at triple powdercoating after the fact, but doing so would require a redesign because the pin holes would close up. I also thought about plastic dipping the lower half. either solution would do noting to help the scores of people out there with my tow hook kits already...well, those that care about the appearance anyhow.

You could suggest they plasti dip the tips of the hooks, they would have to every so often re do it but for a while it should protect the hook, then again that does nothing for if they get towed after going off.

drano38

Wayne
Puffer, for us FRPP hook guys, maybe a correct length strap with loops in both ends.
Pull thru tow hook, bring both ends to winch, and put winch hook thru both looped strap ends.
Sorta like yours, but longer so it can be folded around the tow hook.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
drano38 said:
Puffer, for us FRPP hook guys, maybe a correct length strap with loops in both ends.
Pull thru tow hook, bring both ends to winch, and put winch hook thru both looped strap ends.
Sorta like yours, but longer so it can be folded around the tow hook.

i think you can find short straps like that already on the market? if not, i can have them made up to order, but it would likely cost more. if you want to see how much, email me with some specifications you want to see and i will find out how much it will cost.

drano38

Wayne
You're right, a short axle strap would work pretty good.
Come to think of it, I've got a pair buried in the garage somewhere.

TMO Supporting Vendors