The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Towing with Magnaride...How Should the Car be Tied Down?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I'm a newbie at towing my car to the track. I purchased a Futura Trailer last December and towed 7 hours round trip VIR using the tire mounted tow straps without issue. I mention the trailer because its equipped with over the tire straps. I've read that this isn't ideal for the deenergized magnaride struts/shocks? Should I be towing using attachment points instead (Ford Perf Tie Down kit)? If so, please recomend a good set of tie down straps. Ive also considered just lanyarding the underside to limit movement in conjunction with the tire straps but, this might just be overkill? Thanks for you input.

First post here - I tow my car using Ford Performance tie downs (doubt having Magride matter that much - it still moves - just less than if you tie down tires). Straps - Mac Tie Downs. Have towed over 4 thousand miles this year and about to make 1500 roundtrip next week...

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Ford has a document that I attached that shows where you should hook up straps for transporting their cars, they recommend "J" hooks and the attachment points are the ones under the car behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels. Look on Sheet 7 down near the bottom for the Mustang and GT350 recommendations.

I bought ratchet straps from CTS Cargo Tiedown, a company in Toronto that makes them for commercial tow operators.

They are very stout pieces. They also make a V strap for winching the car onto the trailer that works pretty slick. I put a 5,000 lb winch on the trailer, driving the car onto the trailer with a racing clutch is an exercise in how to wreck stuff with potentially very bad consequences.

Attachments

• 2015-2016-Wrecker-Towing-Guide-Final.pdf
    820.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Athens, Georgia
I'm a newbie at towing my car to the track. I purchased a Futura Trailer last December and towed 7 hours round trip VIR using the tire mounted tow straps without issue. I mention the trailer because its equipped with over the tire straps. I've read that this isn't ideal for the deenergized magnaride struts/shocks? Should I be towing using attachment points instead (Ford Perf Tie Down kit)? If so, please recomend a good set of tie down straps. Ive also considered just lanyarding the underside to limit movement in conjunction with the tire straps but, this might just be overkill? Thanks for you input.
I too just purchased a Futura trailer and have a Mustang with Magnaride. Just bought it and have not trailered the mustang yet. I never imagined there being an issue regarding the over the tire tie-downs and the deenergized Magnaride shocks. Didn’t even cross my mind. The Futura tie-down system and airline track equipped trailer was one of the major selling points of this very expensive trailer. Regardless of whether one uses the over the tire system or other attachment point, as long as it is strapped to any member that then connects to a point below the bottom strut mount, it has the same effect. Doesn’t it? I guess if the strap is attached to the frame directly, you are still compressing the shocks (But only once). The biggest concern on my mind has been whether to utilize a weight distribution hitch when towing. Mustang and trailer likely weigh around 5300 to 5400 lbs. I use a F150 with Max tow package. Ford docs say use a WDH if towing over 5000 lbs. I called Futura and they said a WHD wasn’t needed. Said lots of folks in Australia tow with much lighter trucks and SUVs and have no issues. Are you using a Weight Distribution Hitch?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Are you using a Weight Distribution Hitch?
Nope.
But then again, I've got a 25 foot E450 based motorcoach and even though my trailer is prolly 3000 lbs heavier than yours loaded (it's steel, about 25' long and has a big tire rack and winch, 8' long steel loading ramps, etc.), the coach doesn't drive much different. It also still gets just 10 mpg, goes up hills about the same as with no trailer and the rear end is not down more than an inch.
The V10 is a gas guzzling torque monster.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
With an open trailer, I would go with the Ford tie down hooks. They bolt to the frame of your S550 just behind the front and in front of the rear tires. Pass the straps across the bed of the trailer under the car, tighten and be done with it. I use these with an enclosed trailer also. The straps have to be attached before the car goes into the trailer, no room to hook the passenger side.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
You can't hurt the mag ride shocks, they are just oil with orifices in the pistons. Will work fine with any tie down method. Rear wheel wells are pretty tight, so it may be tricky to strap over the tire. Use the chassis hooks or strap through the wheels/wheel spokes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel