The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Toyo Proxes RR, now in big 18" Sizes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think I have a day maybe 2 left on my NT01s. Have been looking for my next set and I am not ready to make the jump to the purple crack, but settled in on giving the Toyo Proxes RR a try, was trying to decide between those, NT01 again or the new R888R (now has a very similar tread pattern to NT01) and reviews are generally positive with more sidewall stiffness. I ran the old R888s before the NT01s and was happy with the NT01 over the old R888, and was convinced to try the new R888R compound but found this deal on the RRs so I think I am going to give them a try. Saw some interesting data on the RRs and saw that they now come in 305/35R18 for my 11" wheels and decided to jump.

For those that need tires, Toyos are are on sale at a couple of places, but best price I found with these in stock was at Simple Tire:

https://simpletire.com/toyo-p305-35r18-255170-tires

After 15% off discount using the coupon code on the page and no shipping charges, no sales tax, price came to $292 a tire. Less than the NT01s were going to be anywhere else and looks like a little step up in performance, while still having great tire life.

I don't know how long the discount is good for, but it's a good deal if you need an HPDE / Track only tire. They have other sizes too.

I think it's gonna be a good season this year.

Last edited:
Nice find. Should be a fantastic option for Mustang owners. I look forward to reading your impressions on the RR's.

Arrived yesterday, being mounted today.

They are definitely a touch softer than the NT01.

Simple Tire got them shipped out right away, but the shop in my town that they were shipped too refused to mount them per corporate policy on not mounting competition tires.

At least I didn’t have to pay for shipping.

6b72e319bf2c581bd2fc8452db342e91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a national chain that refused to mount them?

Norm

Wheel Works, I believe they are a regional chain in California. Lots of locations in the Bay Area.

Ended up having them mounted at my local America’s Tire which has mounted tires for me before and done a good job so no complaints about taking them there.

US
I had discount tire refuse to mount my slicks because I didn't Install TPMS sensors with them. They said since the car originally came with the tpms on it , I had to have them on the rims too for safety. I was like Wtf?? You think im gonna get a slow leak? You think im not gonna check my pressures 100 times ? Not to mention that the starting pressure is 19 psi and peak pressure at temp will still likely set the system off anyway . how the f is tpms gonna save my life ? I called him a f-ing idiot and came back the next day and said they were for my 89 mustang. They put them on just fine. Retards in this world I tell ya.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Look forward to your review and the RRs are definitely softer than the NT01, but be interested to see what you think compared to a set of 295 Hoosiers?

Last edited:
Look forward to your review and the Res are definitely softer than the Nt01, but be interested to see what you think compared to a set of 295 Hoosiers?

I have never driven on Hoosiers so won’t be able to give you some feedback on those. Just most recently the NT01s. I am sure the 295 Hoosiers will be stickier and faster, but doing HPDEs I don’t need every second.

I had discount tire refuse to mount my slicks because I didn't Install TPMS sensors with them. They said since the car originally came with the tpms on it , I had to have them on the rims too for safety. I was like Wtf?? You think im gonna get a slow leak? You think im not gonna check my pressures 100 times ? Not to mention that the starting pressure is 19 psi and peak pressure at temp will still likely set the system off anyway . how the f is tpms gonna save my life ? I called him a f-ing idiot and came back the next day and said they were for my 89 mustang. They put them on just fine. Retards in this world I tell ya.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Seriously, even America’s Tire wanted to know what car they were going on before I mounted them. Told them ‘13 Mustang GT, but don’t know what world a place like that would say 305/35R18s were good on all 4 corners on 18x11 wheels without suspension work. Whatever they checked said okay so they went ahead and did them for me. Liability and our litigious society sucks sometimes.

Just had a conversation with a friend yesterday and found out their garage remodel failed inspection because new Bildungsroman codes for their city require electric car chargers be built in to new garages even if you don’t own an electric car. SMH

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Understand , but it would not surprise me if the Toyo is not closer to the Hoosier for stiction, than the NT01. Glad you are one of the first to get them in a decent size , and looking forward to your assessment.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Posted on another thread , Tire Rack had one set of the new 315/18s Toyo RRs just the other day ----- hit the link on our Forum and gopher it. Interesting as this size does not even show up, but it does exist. And..................SurferStang, still look forward to hearing about your personal impression. Many years ago was sponsored by a Dealer to run Toyos and though two tire generations ago, they offered great wearability and good grip. Not up to a Hoosier at that time ( unless it was a super hot day and the Hoosiers got greasy much sooner) , but they would last an extra full weekend of racing.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Had my old MTs mounted my older Forgestars at Discount Tire and seems they would mount whatever was physically possible. I'm with TMS and wonder if it's more a Leftest Coast thing?

The TMS issue is nation wide. If a car required or was equipped with TMS our great government requires you have sensors on all wheels. You don’t want then, they don’t care. After all, who knows better.
I was commenting on the electric outlets for electric cars in new construction. Definitely Not nationwide.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel