The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Toyo R888 vs Pirelli

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I bought a set of 18" Enkei PF01's for my Boss and 275/295 for front and rear in Toyo R888's. Are the Toyo's going to be better for the track than the stock Pirelli's? I would hope that they are stickier considering the tread wear rating is 100 and the Pirelli's are 220.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
smart-ass answer: My winter tires are better for the track than the Pirellis.

Nice answer - Yes, the Toyo 888 was designed for track use and tends to handle the weight and associated heat generated of the mustang much better than the Pirellis.

Any reason why you didn't buy the 305's?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R888&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=035ZR8R888&tab=Specs

Several members like the Nitto NT 555R II's better than the Toyo's and they were specifically made for "the muscle car racer".

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt555r2#overview

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
The 305's stick out slightly at the rear fenders where the 295's don't. I didn't want the wheels to stick out past the fenders and I can get a set of Toyo's for $1000 for all four tires. If I don't like the Toyo's I'll try something else. At the tracks here in Germany I see a lot of cars with the Toyo's. If there are any members that use the Toyo's and have feedback on their performance that would be appreciated, thanks.

I don't have them on the Boss, but I have been through a few sets on a much lighter car. There are a couple members who have run them on the Boss, their experience with them was a little different from mine on a momentum car so I'll let them explain the details, but yes they are a good track tire. I would run them on the Boss if I had track rims. Night and day difference from a street tire.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I don't have a way to trailer the car while I am in Germany so I will be driving the car to the track. Unfortunately it's about 240 miles to the track each way and I was wondering if that would be an issue driving on the Toyo's that far on the street. It's about 90% autobahn and I'll probably just set the cruise on 90 to 100mph.

I've run a few set of R888s. To be honest, they're my least favorite track tire of the several I've run on the Boss. Here they are in order of lap times:

Hoosier R6 (like lighting money on fire though)
Continental Slicks (takeoffs with some being great and some so-so)
Nitto 555RII (most predictable but wear fast)
Nitto NT01 (great grip and wear well but don't have a 305 option for my staggered wheels)
Toyo R888s (wear like iron though and the cheapest r-comp I've run)

I drive my car 200 miles each way to get to the track, on the 888s. You will heat cycle them out faster since you are using them more, but it shouldn't be that much of a difference if they are only on when you head to the track. They don't like water, especially when shaved, but other than that they should be fine.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
CaliMR said:
I drive my car 200 miles each way to get to the track, on the 888s. You will heat cycle them out faster since you are using them more, but it shouldn't be that much of a difference if they are only on when you head to the track. They don't like water, especially when shaved, but other than that they should be fine.

Yeah, I will only use the R888's when I go to the track. Thanks for all the feedback. The fact that I can get the R888's for $1000 for all four makes them attractive to me. As I improve my skills on the track maybe I'll switch to the Hoosier's as everyone has said that they are the best.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I had r888's on my g35 (on cobra r wheels, interestingly enough) went to and from the track. Lots of road noise but they held up well and are a decent r compound tire with an unbeatable price point.

Actually this thread got me thinking about trying something. I was really impressed with the NT01s but since they don't have a 305 option I haven't been using them because both sets of track wheels are staggered and I didn't want to buy yet more wheels. The 275 will fit on a 10.5 and since the 10.5 is still going to create a wider contact patch than the 9.5, not to mention the wider track due to the wider wheel, I think they'll be just fine with my suspension setup. I might need to soften the rear dampers a notch, but it should work.

cloud9 said:
Actually this thread got me thinking about trying something. I was really impressed with the NT01s but since they don't have a 305 option I haven't been using them because both sets of track wheels are staggered and I didn't want to buy yet more wheels. The 275 will fit on a 10.5 and since the 10.5 is still going to create a wider contact patch than the 9.5, not to mention the wider track due to the wider wheel, I think they'll be just fine with my suspension setup. I might need to soften the rear dampers a notch, but it should work.
Oh so after I just purchased some 9.5/10.5 Enkei PF01's now you're going to go square??? LOL ::)

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Oh so after I just purchased some 9.5/10.5 Enkei PF01's now you're going to go square??? LOL ::)
Semi-square ;D Square tires, staggered wheels. Still a staggered setup :D It's just an experiment :p

If I were to try the 275/40/18 NT01's, what would you suggest the wheel width be to run square setup on factory Boss with CC plates? Would I need to change springs if I'm just having fun at track days since the wheels have to be 18 inch? I'm looking to get track set of tires/wheels that are still DOT legal for the 30 mile drive. I'm tired of having to haul second set and switching out at the track.

Thanks, Jon

TMO Supporting Vendors