The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Toyo R888

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am running the R888's square with stock Boss rear sway and Koni yellows with P springs. Does anyone have recommendations on what tire pressure I should be running?

Brandon,
I have a set of 275/40/18's NT01s, which I guess might be somewhat similar to your R888's.

On the tire that sees the most load I start with 28.5-29psi cold and they usually end up in 36-38psi range when hot. On tires that don't see alot of load I start with 29.5-30psi cold and they usually end up again at 36-38psi hot.

At summit main, I do the following cold pressures.
FL: 29psi FR: 30psi
RL: 28.5psi RR: 30psi

Can't remember which tires worked harder at Shenandoah though... I should really start keeping track of these things!

I was starting at 30 cold all around, I wonder if maybe they were either not getting up to that hot pressure or they were over or they were just at their limit.

I always use 30psi as my starting pressure for every track, just because I haven't started keeping a log. Based on your cold vs. hot readings, adjust the pressures untill all tires are at 36-38psi hot.

What I've noticed on the mustang is that as you push harder throughout the day, the hottest tire moves from the front to the rear. But that could just be my gradual driving style.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
In general, I set my cold pressures on the rear tires 1psi lower than the fronts to start--since I anticipate these tires will experience more heat from wheelspin/sliding vs. the fronts. Typically this comes out pretty close to even on all corners when heated up. If you drive like a madman you might need to step it down even slightly lower.

I don'y know Toyos, but starting the fronts around 20=21 and the rears about a pound or two lower is a pretty good start, 30 is waaayyyyy too high unless Toyo has some magic hot pressures that I'm unaware of. If you read the advanced road race thread, there is a lot of info there. Get your hot pressures, let the tires cool and then you have a new set of start pressures that are more accurate.
There is also a series running Toyos, and the recommend a directional change after about 5 heat cycles to prevent the tires from "unraveling" due to their construction, so keep an eye on yours, there will be a line going across the tread area where the tread band come together., I don't know if it would aplly to you or not but it might.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel