The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Toyo RRs for $235 plus free shipping at the Tire Rack Link on TMO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
For some of you that are looking for a sticky set of track rubber I noticed that TireRack had the 295/30/18s for a killer price last month. Still at this price and though few in stock a new load is coming in a week. If you to put about 11 inches of rubber on the ground and it fits in the 10-11 inch rim recommendation, this might be trick race rubber for some. At a 25 inch diameter you will turn the tires over quicker , but that could be beneficial at the right tracks or auto crosses? Just thought I would post , as solid price for a DOT Comp tire -----yep they are more for the larger sizes?

Use the Link on TMO , as that helps out the Forum.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good catch Expired Bovine............forgot to list that size also. Have plenty of friends in NASA running the RRs and they don't seem to come on as fast as the R7s or the BFG R1s, but they seem to last longer than the Hoosiers. Also they seem to get greasy later in the race ( which some feel is also the case with the BFGs). They do seem to last a bit longer than the Hoosiers, and the only comments I have heard is one should follow the tire mounting instructions and their rotation sequence. But the kicker, right now, is the price is super reasonable for a set of 4 gumballs!

Please don't forget to use the TMO Tire Rack Link by clicking the ad at the top of the page.

Good catch Expired Bovine............forgot to list that size also. Have plenty of friends in NASA running the RRs and they don't seem to come on as fast as the R7s or the BFG R1s, but they seem to last longer than the Hoosiers. Also they seem to get greasy later in the race ( which some feel is also the case with the BFGs). They do seem to last a bit longer than the Hoosiers, and the only comments I have heard is one should follow the tire mounting instructions and their rotation sequence. But the kicker, right now, is the price is super reasonable for a set of 4 gumballs!

I'm not ready for racing slicks but dang, those are cheaper than my street tires ($250 each)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Not racing slicks, DOT Competition Tires, and slicks are even quicker. This would be a good move for you to put on the new Apex rims you have ordered, ha,ha?!

Frankly they are probably quite close to the adhesion one gets with the Pilot Sport Cup 2s, so would work wonders on your 350!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Same as with a Hoosier R7, BFG gforce R1s, and the Toyo Proxes RRs , not recommended , but depends on how far you are going? Essentially for use at the track , and the Sport Cups are better for the street , but they are pretty damn sticky for track use as they are a DOT listed Comp. tire too - they are definitely at a higher treadwear rating.

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Not racing slicks, DOT Competition Tires, and slicks are even quicker. This would be a good move for you to put on the new Apex rims you have ordered, ha,ha?!

Frankly they are probably quite close to the adhesion one gets with the Pilot Sport Cup 2s, so would work wonders on your 350!

Agreed!...My 16 focus RS came with Cup 2's . The level of grip was astounding !

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
BlackBoss has noted on this site , numerous times, that the MPSC2s are really quite fast , and not a giant difference from the Hoosiers. I have run them in the past too, and frankly they seem to hold up better on really hot days than some of the minimal treadwear rated DOT tires ( say 40-100 rated rubber).

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
BlackBoss has noted on the site , numerous times, that the MPSC2s are really quite fast , and not a giant difference from the Hoosiers. I have run them in the past too, and frankly they seem to hold up better on really hot days than some of the minimal treadwear rated DOT tires ( say 40-100 rated rubber).
The downside is Cup 2"s are Dang expensive!! Those Toyo.s seem to be a good deal.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Save yourself some time. Many of us bought staggered rims and then a year or two later switched over to squared. Your situation is quite simple , as you want to also autocross and 90% of autocrossers run that set-up so they can switch tires around. I am 60 miles from Lincoln , Nebraska, home of the " Solo Nationals, " and it is hard to find someone who does not run a squared set-up on their cars. Take out the formula cars, Vipers, and a few others , and most will try just to preserve the tire life. The tracks near me tend to eat of left side tires quicker than right , so rotation means less money spent road racing also. Most of us learned the hard way, and I was one of them ..................squared is more economical in the long run.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Way to go Dr., I know most of our fast Viper customers were running 305/315 front and 355 rear , but 335 square sounds damn cool to me!!!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors