The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Toyota not all in with EVs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Electric vehicles have their place, but they do not fit my needs and useage patterns. They have their own set of problems as well. Instead of being reliant on others for oil we will be reliant on others for the elements and minerals necessary to manufacture the batteries which come with a cost that is conveniently left out of the discussion by the pro ev people. Here is just one example.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Slot cars would be more efficient. Power in the road would not be transferred directly. Inductive coupling, like the process used in cordless phone charging can be between 72 and 90% efficient. Add in the loss in bringing power to the pavement and the additional stress to the grid. I don’t see this moving forward.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Slot cars would be more efficient. Power in the road would not be transferred directly. Inductive coupling, like the process used in cordless phone charging can be between 72 and 90% efficient. Add in the loss in bringing power to the pavement and the additional stress to the grid. I don’t see this moving forward.
I didn't think in road charging was feasible for many reasons. I will just wait for my George Jetson flying car that folds up into my briefcase to keep thieves at bay.:)

I think another lost point on the EV front is the weight of the vehicles. The new hummer EV is 8900 pounds roughly, a Tesla is at a minimum 3800 pounds or so, but most are closer to 5k.

We will have to enact a user tax on roads and track cars mileage since fuel will not be able to be taxed for it. The additional weight will damage roads at an accelerated rate, and we can't keep up with infrastructure now.

Which full disclosure, I never want an EV, but there are alot of issues that need to be addressed before we should even think of them as an alternative.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
From the article..
"Toyota could sell only electrified versions of their more popular models – competitors like Ford are selling out of their new all-electric trucks and SUVs within hours of offering pre-orders. Instead, "
I call BS on that. They might... might... be doing it to fleet service.

In all honesty, I don't think I ever had a Domino's pizza...There's too many family (non franchise) pizza places around here......Hon had a taste of Domino's at a birthday luncheon a while back and said it was horrible......After a couple cold ones the taste buds don't care that much.............Those White Castle sliders ain't that bad...........................

From the article..
"Toyota could sell only electrified versions of their more popular models – competitors like Ford are selling out of their new all-electric trucks and SUVs within hours of offering pre-orders. Instead, "
I call BS on that. They might... might... be doing it to fleet service.
Not sure what you're seeing, but the dealerships in Atlanta here can't keep the Mustang Mach E's or Lightning F150's on their lots. Wife and I picked up one of the plug-in hybrid Lincoln Aviators and even those are near impossible to come by.

That being said, every manufacturer I'm aware of is suffering from a lack of microchips and that's impacting EV production more than standard models which means that the manufacturers can't put as many EV models onto lots as they can standard cars. This is partially impacting the "flying off the lot" perception. If you get 2 per month per lot then you're still only moving 24 units a year and demand is probably higher than that.

EV fanfare is still in it's infancy..........Some folks are jumping on the bandwagon while others still like the convenience of a gas station. Me and the Boss still favor a good ole ICE....An old dog don't like new tricks!!!!!!!!............especially when he likes the old ones.........;);)

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Toyota may be suffering from "GM" syndrome, can't do no wrong. I remember GM making some similar mistakes.
It will be interesting to see how all this plays out over the next years.
The stuff below is a quote from Torque News, I've read similar stuff in trade publications.

The fact that Toyota is still using NiMH is fascinating to me. The tech is proven, and it is safer than lithium-ion or polymer. Thermal runaway does not happen with NiMH, and safety is a big thing for Toyota.
Toyota also uses NiMH because it is predictable. They know that most people will outlive the warranty on the battery or trade the vehicle in within 5 years. It is all about the data.
NiMH for Toyota also has a more substantial fixed cost. They have used it so long and refined the tech that it is easy to get costs dialed in for the end product.
Overall, Toyota uses NiMH because they know how to keep their business running with their data from decades of research.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel