The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TPMS for track wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pit road temps & pressures > TPMS

If they read out on the dash like a GT4 car, then you can reference them to make sure you are close to your " window" ( you will at some place on the track either exceed or be too low) same with Gt3 telemetry, only the crew sees it instead of the driver.. just a reference guide

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
So I used to have a set of street rims to drive to the track and around town, and then a set of track rims, which didn't have TPMS. Usually during my 3rd or 4th session of the day is when I'd get a warning that TPMS thinks one of my tires is flat... better late than never, I guess.

When I had a GT350 that had a dash display of each Tire Pressure I had TPMS sensors in the wheels, on my S-197 where the TPMS is just an on and off switch I have not used them

In the V6L
Interesting perspectives. When I'm on track, my dash display shows tire pressures. I have no need of anything else because there's a sophisticated network of sensors and computers monitoring the engine and driveline - they'll let me know if there's a problem. Tire pressures, though, are very useful. They tell me when there's enough heat in the tires to pick up the pace, and when they're getting high enough that I should expect to start losing traction.

The other important thing they do is keep me and my fellow drivers out of trouble. If someone's car drops a screw and your tire picks it up, you can go from full pressure to not much in a few hundred yards. With no sensors, you won't know until your car fails to respond to brakes or steering (or both). With sensors, you have a chance to keep the beast under control without going full agricultural. And it's not just you that stays safe - it includes everyone near you that might join you in your unintended off-track excursion.

So, I run them and I think everyone should. Maybe that's just me, but that's where I stand on the issue.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
I use them on mine mostly so I can learn if I have a puncture or leak sooner than if I didn't have them. They aren't accurate enough to replace a real gauge so I always rely on an actual gauge. Though I have noticed genuine Ford sensors match my gauge within 1 psi. On a previous set of wheels I bought "genuine" Ford sensors on Ebay for cheap and they consistently read 4 psi high which was annoying because they were so far off that I never trusted them,

sfo
I use them on mine mostly so I can learn if I have a puncture or leak sooner than if I didn't have them. They aren't accurate enough to replace a real gauge so I always rely on an actual gauge. Though I have noticed genuine Ford sensors match my gauge within 1 psi. On a previous set of wheels I bought "genuine" Ford sensors on Ebay for cheap and they consistently read 4 psi high which was annoying because they were so far off that I never trusted them,

I wonder if you can use an external device to calibrate the tmps in the wheel to a known psi? I have a problem in another car where my tpms is 10psi off from reality. This makes my dash light blink because the car thinks my tire is low. I actually have to put in the worn pressure to turn the light off. That's bad and could be dangerous under certain consitions. You would think you could calibrate the sensors instead of junk them and replace them all and hope the 4 your get are close.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Perhaps it sounds as if I'm bashing Ford.

As luck would have it, even the other expensive makes can do just as terrible, on any given Sunday.

1614743193962.png

Stupid question, but if the system detects an issue with the TPMS will Advancetrac etc be able to be disabled ? In other cars I have had, if an issue was detected with the TPMS then the traction control would not be able to be turned off.....

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Stupid question, but if the system detects an issue with the TPMS will Advancetrac etc be able to be disabled ? In other cars I have had, if an issue was detected with the TPMS then the traction control would not be able to be turned off.....
Not that stupid, but I don't believe that's the case, at least with my s550. I used to hold the traction control to disable it, and when it finally realized the tires were gone, it didn't override things. Also since disconnecting the connector in the engine bay, which on startup will fully disable advancetrac and traction control, and I can slide the rear just fine. Almost a little too fine.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you guys are getting your numbers, tires will go over or under you target pressures by several psi, depending on where you are on the track. More importantly, in the long corners where you should be paying attention to your line, rather than psi, is the same place you will exceed your target psi by a large margin.

MD

EDIT: removed and corrected info posted below.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
So...about those TPMS Reports

I am really curious about this as well, specifically on my '14 S197 Base GT. When I bought my track wheels I didn't even realize it had it, so I skipped it.

I have previously had some track days in a C7 Z06. And without the TPMS we were never able to fully disable the ASC. By the sounds of the posts here, it sounds like AdvanceTrac doesn't care. Does anyone know if I will be able to fully disable the the TCS and the ASC without them? If not, I will order them and put them in a pressured pipe or something to fool the system until I put on the next set of tires.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
So...about those TPMS Reports

I am really curious about this as well, specifically on my '14 S197 Base GT. When I bought my track wheels I didn't even realize it had it, so I skipped it.

I have previously had some track days in a C7 Z06. And without the TPMS we were never able to fully disable the ASC. By the sounds of the posts here, it sounds like AdvanceTrac doesn't care. Does anyone know if I will be able to fully disable the the TCS and the ASC without them? If not, I will order them and put them in a pressured pipe or something to fool the system until I put on the next set of tires.
You don’t need them on your 2014 to disable TCS and AdvanceTrac. The TPMS light will stay on and you’ll get an occasional warning that pops up on the center screen.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel