The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TPMS Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can a sensor be tested before it is put onto the rim and into a tire? I have four brand new sensors I just bought from the Ford dealer. I am getting ready to let the same Ford dealer mount my new tires onto a second set of stock rims. If they break one while mounting the tires who is responsible for the replacement sensor? If it is checked and found to be inop before they are mounted I figure I would have a better chance to get them replaced free of charge?

Tim

If you have one of these you can test them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPMS-pressure-canister-fits-most-sensors-FREE-SHIPPING-/221242270314

Do the sensors have to be replaced each time tires are replaced? I just had a shop mount my new Continental DW tires and they charged me for new sensors. My car only had 8k miles on it when I had the tires swapped.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
LikeABauce302 said:
Do the sensors have to be replaced each time tires are replaced? I just had a shop mount my new Continental DW tires and they charged me for new sensors. My car only had 8k miles on it when I had the tires swapped.
no they don't

They charged you for sensors, or valve stems?
either way... they shouldn't have charged you anything other than mount and balance. Time to give them a call!

No, as I only bought new ones for my second set of summer tires/rims. I also did not have to program them (as I learned from this forum, Thanks!) they are working so far w/o any warning lights.

Tim

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Some tire shops quote safety laws which require TPMS install for any vehicle originally equipt with sensors.

A way around this is to bring the wheels and tires in off the car and claim they are either for track use or a car without TPMS.

If they just swapped out used for new.....let them pay for the sensors.

LikeABauce302 said:

Well, technically, Ford does recommend replacing the valve stems (not the sensors themselves) when replacing tires, but in most cases that is probably overkill.

Just a reminder that you can get take off sensors from this reputable ebay seller for cheap. They DO NOT need to be programmed. Offer him $45. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181332904588?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3408.0

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel