The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TPMS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You can but at this price it can't hurt to use them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FORD-LINCOLN-TPMS-TIRE-PRESSURE-SENSOR-SET-4-9L3T-1A180-BB/171100861211?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2547497122833563525%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D181170167273%26

BTW you DO NOT need to program these sensors. I know you'll see people stating you do but you don't. If light does come on let it run another 50 miles and it will go off and never return. I've run three different sets without programming. The light only comes on with new sensors and not the take offs. If you don't believe I have a new unopened programmer that came with my 302S wheels that I'd be happy to sell you. ;)

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:
You can but at this price it can't hurt to use them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FORD-LINCOLN-TPMS-TIRE-PRESSURE-SENSOR-SET-4-9L3T-1A180-BB/171100861211?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2547497122833563525%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D181170167273%26

BTW you DO NOT need to program these sensors. I know you'll see people stating you do but you don't. If light does come on let it run another 50 miles and it will go off and never return. I've run three different sets without programming. The light only comes on with new sensors and not the take offs. If you don't believe I have a new unopened programmer that came with my 302S wheels that I'd be happy to sell you. ;)

Thanks Rick, but I will pass on buying your programmer ;D

Just wanted to let you guys know about my experience with TPMS.

I switched from stock to my winter wheels, which have the TPMS from the ebay link, and I had no problems. Then throughout summer, I ran my track wheels, which have no TPMS, and as expected the TPMS light was on. When I went back to my winter setup again, the TPMS light did not turn off. I'm guessing, if the car is left without TPMS for a while, these will need to be reprogrammed like all the other sensors.

If anyone has any additional info, let us know!

F.D. Sako said:
Just wanted to let you guys know about my experience with TPMS.

I switched from stock to my winter wheels, which have the TPMS from the ebay link, and I had no problems. Then throughout summer, I ran my track wheels, which have no TPMS, and as expected the TPMS light was on. When I went back to my winter setup again, the TPMS light did not turn off. I'm guessing, if the car is left without TPMS for a while, these will need to be reprogrammed like all the other sensors.

If anyone has any additional info, let us know!

Mine did this and it took about 8-10 miles of driving to reset them when I put my street tires back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFSBOSS said:
If it does need to be programmed, and I've never had an issue with the four sets of wheels I've owned all with sensors in them, then it has nothing to do with that specific set from ebay. It would have done the same thing on your OEM sensors. BTW what happened to your OEM sensors?

ya, I don't think it would've made a difference what wheel/TPMS set I used at that point, the light would've stayed on. Might have to stop by at the dealer next time and let them program real quick.

My stock TPMS are still on the stock wheels/tires, which I haven't used for a while.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
F.D. Sako said:
ya, I don't think it would've made a difference what wheel/TPMS set I used at that point, the light would've stayed on. Might have to stop by at the dealer next time and let them program real quick.

My stock TPMS are still on the stock wheels/tires, which I haven't used for a while.

Interesting. I bought the Ford TPMS kit with the activation tool but I loaded up the new wheels and tires to get them mounted and the activation tool wasn't even needed. The guy that mounted my wheels tells me they are self taught if you go Ford-to-Ford with these. Low and behold, I got the wheels home and had no need to "Learn" the wheels to the car with the tire pressure monitor activation tool that came with the kit. I'm curious that perhaps if you use this tool, it may actually work to shut down the idiot light. But i'm also thinking it may only work on Ford TPMS valves.

Questions. Can the aftermarket learning tools (sold by LMR, AM, etc.) be used to program stock TPMS, or do they only work with the aftermarket TPMS?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel