The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TR3160 aftermarket shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In case any of you missed it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1515151522114579&set=rpd.100008592366619&type=3&theater

12742699_1515151522114579_7425471249221635363_n.jpg

mattlqx

Mustangless
Are people finding these hard to shift? I had zero problems the only time it's been on track so far. Road has been rather delightful. Or is it more just about an even shorter throw?

mattlqx said:
Are people finding these hard to shift? I had zero problems the only time it's been on track so far. Road has been rather delightful. Or is it more just about an even shorter throw?

on the Boss, which I drove tonight (since the R is in the shop having it's cage built) I found that the shifter needed upgrading. On the R, not so much.

mattlqx

Mustangless
fuhrius said:
on the Boss, which I drove tonight (since the R is in the shop having it's cage built) I found that the shifter needed upgrading. On the R, not so much.

That's what I saying. :) Totally agree. The MT-82 setup was terrible out of the box. None of those problems seem present in the 3160 setup.

Yeah its much better than the MT82, only minor quip is the 2-3 shift requires a little more horizontal force than the MT82, not sure if thats an enhanced 1st gear lock out feature

If all you ever use is a dull knife to cut a steak, you won't know how dull it really was until you use a sharp one.

I'm sworn to secrecy but I can say this - it isn't merely about "shorter throw." George is definitely in tune with just how much you can deviate from the stock throw before things get rather clunky, losing any semblance of smoothness. Ford chose to use GT500-style "pendulum" architecture on the GT350, where the fulcrum tries to swing the lower linkage into place. That and the sphere/cup it uses at the stick pivot are far from optimum. If you are a fan of precision you'll appreciate his efforts with his upcoming GT350 offering.

I should have something substantial to report on this in the near future. Traveling to Georgia at the end of this coming week to capture some of the magic from the best in the business.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel